Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    godfearer22005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Clutch accord 1993
    Hello!

1993 Honda Accord EX with 215k miles. I woke up this morning (It was cold outside) and I started my car. I pushed down the clutch and it stuck. There was no resistance to the clutch at all. Sometimes I've solved this kind of problem by adding clutch fluid and pumping the clutch. However, this time, it didn't solve the problem.

Someone suggested this was a master/slave cylinder or a spring? I'm pretty sure there's no "spring" involved since this clutch requires clutch (brake) fluid.

If you have time, could you briefly explain or point me to a resource that explains what a master & slave cylinder are?

I also heard the cost to fix is $100-ish? Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 07:47 AM

Hydraulic clutches usually fail for two reasons:

. Not changing the brake fluid every two years. Corrosion can tear the seals apart inside clutch systems. Changing the fluid regularly replenishes the corrosion properties and lubricity; it also eliminates rust, air, and crud.

. Overfilling--they should not be filled above the MAX Line on the clutch master cylinder reservoir.

The clutch pedal usually goes to the floor when air gets in the system--it doesn't take much. There is a return spring, however.

The clutch slave cylinder is located on the front of the engine, slightly on the passenger's side. It's between the radiator and the engine block. Look for the metal hydraulic line and the bleeder screw, which is covered with a neoprene cover. When you press the clutch pedal, hydraulic pressure is transmitted from the master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder, which moves an arm to engage or disengage the clutch.

Either air is in the system or the clutch slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder has failed. I use the fool-proof Brake Bleeder Economy One-Man, Cal-Van Tools, No. 247, brake bleeder for bleeding clutch and brake systems. It cost $2.99 and has a one-way check valve. Harbor Freight has a similar product--Brake Bleeder Adaptor and Tubing, #98864, $1.87.
    godfearer22005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the help! I'm thinking I don't have the skills to replace the cylinder myself, but I will look for it on my car. Thanks for the advice!

Read the disclaimer and I like every part of it!
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:06 AM

Amen.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:19 AM

This link may help your Accord last a lot longer:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Honda Accord EX [ 1 Answers ]

120,000 miles. 1. Runs rough at idle. Rough enough to shake the steering wheel. It has done this for at least 30,000 miles. 2. When the engine is warm it starts immediately. After it has set for awhile or overnight the engine will crank a long time, 30-45 seconds, before it starts. The cranking...

1993 accord won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I had to go pick up my wife to be at work today because her car wouldn't start. This is not the first time it has happened. Car has been well maintained and has around 240,000 miles. So far in the last six months I have replace plugs, wires, timing belt, distributor with new o-ring and cap, fuel...

1993 Honda Accord LX [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda accord lx and the car doesn't want to start right away, it will turn over and over and over then turn on and run really rough, then shut off and the check engine light comes on along with the box around the drive 4 flashes anybody know what might be the problem.; It has a new...

1993 accord lx [ 3 Answers ]

What's wrong with my car if he sounds like its going to start but cant. Answering the answer responded back. No its not cold here and yes the car is getting gas. The battery is strong fully charged still know what's wrong? Could it be an electrical problem?

1993 HOnda Accord Clutch pedal [ 1 Answers ]

When I depress the pedal on my accord (1993 5 speed manual w 204k miles) the pedal goes to the floor and sticks. I can start the car but cannot get it into gear. The pedal stays depressed and does not return to normal height. There is some fluid in the clutch fluid reservoir. What might be going...

View more questions Search