Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amlason Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
    2002 Honda Civic developed hard start when cold
    This winter my 2002 Honda Civic LX 1.7CM3 with 84,105 miles on it has developed a cold start problem.

I went to the dealership where I purchased it new thinking that I needed a tuneup, I was informed that they did not do tuneups until after 100,000 miles. The tech person suggested that it could be a problem battery. Because of the age of the original battery I changed it out and it did not solve the problem.

On a cold morning when I hit the starter the engine will try but it will do a try catch try catch and then start as long as I keep the starter cranking. Previously all it took to start was a twist of the key and it started. After it starts I have no problems the rest of the day starting the engine.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Albert
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 02:08 PM

Replace the platinum spark plugs with the same NGK plugs that came in the car. Just tell them to do it.

Oct 29, 2009, 12:55 PM

TGM, I put in Autolite XP5224 plugs in that debt a world of good. A Honda dealership wanted over $18 per plug and $76 to install the them. That was outrageous, it cost me $28.35 for the plugs and I clocked myself doing it outside at 31° at about 17 minutes. Not bad for 75 years old :-) (me not the plugs)
    Thanks for the help
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 01:06 PM

Good job!
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 01:20 PM

Now, change the oil and filter and use 5W-20 full-synthetic engine oil. You'll be amazed how much easier it starts. Here's a $15 rebate on 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum:

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/04...ine%20form.pdf

Oct 29, 2009, 01:37 PM

I changed oil last week and I have been using Pennzoil Platinum for a couple of years but thanks anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda accord hard to start when cold [ 20 Answers ]

Hi: I'm having a problem with my honda ,when I start it on the morning ,when is cold the car crank and start but stop after a second and then I started it again and I have to depress the gas to keep it running and the rpm goes up and down from 700 to 2000 rpm and I have to keep holding the gas...

1988 honda civic hard to start when hot [ 3 Answers ]

My 1988 honda civic is sometimes hard to start when hot. After cooling down for 1/2 hour or so, it will then start. What's happening?

Honda civic 2002 does not start [ 1 Answers ]

My honda civic 2002, run out of gas, I PUT A GALLON OF GAS AND NOW THE CAR DOES NOT START. WHAT CAN I D0

Hard start, stalling 99 honda civic [ 2 Answers ]

I just found instructions on "crankshaft fluctuation sensor" {service and repair} under my seat after clowns replaced my distributor that did not solve my problem. Is this CKF sensor in any way related to my distributor? Or could it be related to hard start stalling. 1999 Honda Civic 120,000...

2002 Honda Civic A/C Not Blowing Cold Air [ 2 Answers ]

The air conditioning just blows warm air. The a/c was working at one point, but it began alternating with the hot air a few months ago. It would blow cold air just fine, but as soon as I stopped somewhere and after say an hr I got back in the car the a/c would blow hot air again. This happened...

View more questions Search