Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rayfornario Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 09:36 AM
    95 Civic,Rough idle
    We have a 1995 Honda Civic with a strange problem. It will run great for awhile and then it will start to jerk while cruising. When it comes to a stop light, the idle will be very rough. It almost seems like the car is not getting enough gas.It wasn't doing it consistently enough to bring it to Honda but finally the check engine light came on but went off on the way to Honda. The car also smoothed out when the light came on.
    1995 Hondas do not retain codes in therr ECU's so there is no way to find out what is wrong until it breaks down!
    The car recently had it's 120,000 mile checkup, tuneup,etc.
    It runs great most of time.
    What would you suggest we check first.
    supra661 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Sounds like it needs a re-tune-up. Probably you have a misfiring spark plug or leaky spark plug wires... If the tune up was just done, take it back... They probably broke a plug wire, cracked the spark plug insulator creamic, or bent the plug electrode to an incorrect spark gap...

Sep 2, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by supra661
    Sounds like it needs a re-tune-up. Probably you have a misfiring spark plug or leaky spark plug wires... If the tune up was just done, take it back.... They probably broke a plug wire, cracked the spark plug insulator creamic, or bent the plug electrode to an incorrect spark gap....
    If it was caused by that, wouldn't it be doing in continually?
    This is an intemittant problem and even under hard aceleration, I can get it to do it. It happens sometimes when cruising along at 60, other times at idle.
    Ray
    supra661 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayfornario
    If it was caused by that, wouldn't it be doing in continually?
    This is an intemittant problem and even under hard aceleration, I can get it to do it. it happens sometimes when cruising along at 60, other times at idle.
    Ray
    Yes. A leaky spark plug wire or broken/cracked ceramic insulator on a spark plug can cause intermittent issues. The spark takes the path of least resistance... depending upon engine load and environmental conditions, the path a spark takes might normally be correct... but under other conditions the incorrect path might be taken. This robs your engine of power and can overheat the catalytic converter with unburnt fuel reaching the catalyst.

Hope that helps.

Sep 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by supra661
    Yes. a leaky spark plug wire or broken/cracked ceramic insulator on a spark plug can cause intermittent issues. The spark takes the path of least resistance... depending upon engine load and environmental conditions, the path a spark takes might normally be correct... but under other conditions the incorrect path might be taken. this robs your engine of power and can overheat the catalytic converter with unburnt fuel reaching the catalyst.

hope that helps.
    Thnaks, I will check it out!
    Ray
    VerveMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 08:44 PM
    I know this reply is waaaaaaay late by posted timestamps but I had this happen to me a while back ago, what may seem as a rough idle at stop lights and stop signs and easy running while on the go was a simple fuel filter replacement for me on my 95 honda civic DX.
    moolieboy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Here's a video about Honda Idle Problems.
    I hope this helps!
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L788jKEVblY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L788jKEVblY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

'93 Civic idle surges temporarily [ 5 Answers ]

When I start my car cold, I don't take off until the idle goes well below 1500rpm. It runs quite well. When I start my car warm, the idle is below 500rpm and it runs quite well. However, when I start my car after it has been sitting for about an hour, the idle starts at 2000rpm and goes to...

Rough idle 99 ram [ 1 Answers ]

The idle on my 99 ram 5.9 lt jumps up about 500rpms replaced plugs wires dist rotor in march also replaced cat. Ane o2 sensers still does the same thing any ideas?

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search