Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salathieljones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 09:20 AM
    1995 Toyota Camry shut off while running.
    I have a 95 Toyota Camry (6 cyl). I had a new water pump and timing belt put on in Nov 08. I also had a new axle put on in Dec 08. Every since my water pump/timing belt were replaced, my car has made some funny noises on the front passenger side of the engine.

For the past 2 or 3 days, I've been hearing a clicking/rattling noise when my car is running. Today while I was driving it, I heard a rather loud click and within 10 minutes, my car shut off while I was driving it and would not restart. It tries to crank over, but nothing happens. It simply will not turn over.

The car has nearly a half of tank of gas. Oil is good. Transmission good. Power Steering fluid is empty but other than that, all other fluids are good. A guy who used to be a mechanic looked at it briefly and thinks it may be that my timing belt wasn't put on right. But are there any suggestions on what would cause this? Any info you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 10:05 AM

I'm afraid it needs to go back and have the job done over. Most likely this was aftermarket parts?
    The t-belt idler pulley, tensioner, or waterpump pulley has failed causing the belt to be mis aligned.

The warning signs were up as you stated in your first sentence.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jan 4, 2009, 01:29 PM

I agree with kitch--this was a timing belt job gone bad. Either improper tension, or a bad idler. You should not have heard clicking.
    salathieljones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. That was what I was afraid of, but just didn't want to hear because the guy has done good work on my car in the past. But thanks again... I guess it's back to square one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Toyota Camry A/C bulb replacement [ 2 Answers ]

On a 1995 Toyota Camry, how do you get to the light bulb in the A/C - Heater control panel? It is burned out and I need to replace it.

Toyota camry 1996 engine shut off while driving [ 10 Answers ]

My 1996 toyota camry's engine shut off on me twice already now while driving. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong. The milage is about 160,000. 2.4 liter engine.

Toyota Camry 1995 Overhead Light Replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I want to get the overhead light replaced for my Toyota Camry(1995). There are no visible screws which can be unscrewed.I tried using a screwdriver and my thumbnails to pop it out but it does not work. Can someone please suggest a better way of getting this done? Thanks. Ankesh

View more questions Search