Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mattedroom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2006, 06:37 PM
    They won't repo my car?
    This is a heck of a story. I'll try to be short. An ex-girlfriend and I ran away to Chicago back in 2001. We bought a car from a small local dealer. We used her credit to purchase the car. We broke up and I moved back to Michigan a few months later. I called the dealership and asked if my name was on the car, they told me no. Anyway, she moved home and used the car while continuing to make payments. She ends up Bankrupt and stops making payment on the car. She parks the car in her apartment (for 2 years or so) and receives a parking ticket, that ticket was mailed to me. Apparently my name was on this title with hers. I called her and she told me to come get the car, she doesn't want it. (I freaked out). It's almost totaled. I had a flatbed tow it to my house. I called the dealership and they have a lean on the car for $3200. (what's owed, the dealer financed) I told them to come get the car. They said no, it's too far from Chicago. I offered then $750 to take the lean off, so I can fix it, or scrap it. I also offered to pay half the towing costs back to Chicago if they'd come and get it. I sent them pictures with all the damage. They told me they where going to come after me for the $3200. I know they can't do that and they are just trying to get me to pay. (right?) The car has some memories for me, (it's also a 93 Z-28) so I wouldn't mind keeping it and fixing it up. What can I do? I won't pay them $3200 for this junker unless forced. It's a really, really, dead car. Right now, it's just sitting there and I think I have to get my lawyer involved just to get rid of it. Thanks everyone. Please help.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 28, 2006, 07:07 PM
    You are responsible if your name is associated with the car.(name on title)
    Yes they can sue you for the remaining balance owed

Jun 28, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Shouldn't they have taken the car when she defaulted on the loan? They never contacted me, and they had my info on record. Since they never came and got it, kids broken into the thing and destoyed it. I think someone hit it with a cender block for fun? Because it's a mess. So, let me get this straight, the dealer told me I have nothing to do with the car, never notified me of anything, never repoed the car, I am just stuck with a $3200 bill and a dead car? Wow... At first when I left Chicago, I thought I co-signed on the loan, so I was very active in finding out if I had any involvement left in the vehicle. I was told that I didn't. So I left her the car. I thought it was hers. Anybody else have an idea?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattedroom
    At first when I left Chicago, I thought I co-signed on the loan, so I was very active in finding out if I had any involvement left in the vehicle. I was told that I didn't. So I left her the car. I thought it was hers. Anybody else have an idea?
    Did you get that in writing from the person who told you you weren't connected with it?

Jun 28, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Nope, I am feeling pretty stupid. I just called them. I know that isn't a way out of this. I thought that since it isn't my name on the credit, I wasn't liable for the money. (before I thought my name wasn't on the title) I KNOW that I'm liable if her husband got the thing running and crashed it. That's why I freaked out. I knew nothing of the money owed. I called the dealership to try to find out what's going on. Now all of this from 2001. I am trying to do the right thing here. If I, by law, owe them the money, I'll pay. But doesn't a lean just affect your selling of the car? Shouldn't they have contacted me after she declared bankruptcy? I would have paid what ever was needed. All that she owed was about $1000, but they slapped interest on there and now it's up to 3200.

Anyone want to buy a Camaro? :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about a voluntary repo [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question, if a car is voluntarily repossessed, when the car is resold to someone at auction or wherever the amount I know left over is the responsibility of the person who voluntarily repo'd the vehicle, does this price include interest that was on the loan also or just the amount financed...

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

We just got our truck repo-ed. We have had it for 5 yrs paying on it and recently we were not able to make the payments so we were 75days behind. We sent in a payment last week which was returned. So, now our truck got repo-ed. When we called to see about making arrangements to get our (ex)...

Repo Question [ 2 Answers ]

If a vehicle is repossessed by the dealer that sold it to you and resale’s the vehicle for more then you owed on the loan, who would be entitled to the extra money?

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

I had my car repossed by the bank for non -=payment... the bank ( credit union) has sent me something which indicates how mucha the car was for tax purposes/.. /.. how does repo affect your income taxes?

View more questions Search