Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dklawson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Which is safer from the IRS, a 401(k) or an IRA?
    I currently have a sizable tax lien, and I am paying on an installment agreement with the IRS for back taxes. I have around $45,000 in a 401(k) of which I now have the option to rollover into an IRA. The IRS has to-date not tried to seize any funds from my 401(k). If I decide to move the funds to an IRA, will it be easier for the IRS to seize the money?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 14, 2008, 04:23 PM
    IRS will not take 401(k) or IRA money. If you want to do rollover, don't get money in your hands. Get it done through the investment company.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 15, 2008, 06:53 AM
    MukatA, that is NOT true.

If the tax lien is large enough, the IRS CAN and WILL go after money inside an IRA or 401(k) if they determine that is the only way they can get the taxes paid. That is why there is a provision in the law that waives the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty for IRS garnishment of such pension funds.

However, as long as DKLawson remains current on his payment plan, the IRS will not likely attach the 401(k) or IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safer Antifreeze [ 6 Answers ]

Everybody knows antifreeze kills pets? Kids too! There is a less toxic propylene glycol formula available. Propylene glycol is actually used in small amounts in some pet chows. I changed the antifreeze in my car last night. I used Prestone Low Tox from Advanced Auto Parts. It was $12 for...

Safer residential service. [ 3 Answers ]

Which is safer L1-110 L2-110 With center tap to ground Or L1-220 L2 gounded Thanks

View more questions Search