Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outsydthbox Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 11:56 AM
    89 civic lx cranks but won't start
    I'll try to give all the info I can. I bought this car a few months ago , supposed to have about
    20,000 mi on a rebuild, timing belt good. The first time, it cranked over, fired, sputtered and died. Then I could crank and crank but it wouldn't fire.When I first turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump run and shut off and the main relay clicks. I then engage the starter, the fuel pump also starts running,but engine never wants to catch. I can smell raw gas in the tail pipe. The led on the ecm flashes as follows: 1 pause 1 pause 17 pause 1 pause 17... I have checked the main relay by the book and Its good. Where do I go from here?. P.S. I've read several other posts here If you think Its my ECM, How do I find/count the pins to check them?

Regards,

Greg
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Perform tests, in Sections A and B, below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Be sure to perform the K-Test on your ECM.

Apr 7, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have gone through A and B. Igniter module and coil have been replaced. I had a good used cap, and I couldn't remove the rotor without breaking it (then cutting the metal collar off the Dist. shaft- frozen on) so, new rotor button. Now It sounds like it wants to start, just won't.
    I have seen you mention the K- test before... What is it, and where do I find how to do it?

Greg
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 05:53 PM
    The K-Test: Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (not start). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.

Apr 8, 2008, 09:15 AM
    I have Checked the Map sensor plug voltage, with key off (.19 mv) with key in position 1 (.19 mv) and in position 2 (5.5 volts)... What's next?

Thanks again,

Greg
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
    If you have spark, but the engine won't start, the problem may be with sensors inside the distributor (CKP, CYL, and TDC). They are not serviceable and would require installing a new distributor housing (Honda only).

Did you check all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter?

Apr 22, 2008, 08:17 AM
    I do have good spark, and have checked all of the fuses with an audible continuity tester.
    I even borrowed a friends ecm ( out of his "running" civic). You think I might need a new distributor? When you wrote "Honda only",do you mean "don't get a re-man?
    Could it be the map sensor? It cranks and (sometimes) sounds like it wants to start.

Thanks,

Greg
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Yes. Go to Honda and buy just the distributor housing ($150).

Apr 22, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Are you sure about that price? I just checked at 2 local dealership parts desks, and was told
    $294.54!! (wholesale) OUCH!! Is there a different source I should be looking to? I Also
    Double checked to make sure the price was for a "dist housing only". Retail they wanted
    $369.10.

Greg
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Tell them you only want the housing, not the ICM, coil, rotor, and distributor cap.

Apr 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
    I did. You have been such a big help already, I hate to ask. Do you have a part # that I can give him? I am not sure he's being straight with me. And yet, I got the same answer from 2
    Different dealerships (Knoxville, Tn) One of them wouldn't even offer a wholesale price even after I gave him my business info.

Greg
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I don't have the part no. for your distributor housing but I wouldn't pay what they are asking. Try to find a suitable alternative.
    josh1987 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Apr 22, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Was the timing belt replaced because it broke before could be a bent valve I had an eagle talon that did the same

Apr 29, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Greasemonkey, I replaced the distributor with a Advance auto parts rebuilt... No difference.
    I thought I might have gotten the plug wires "off by 1" when I replaced the cap earlier, so I moved them 1 place at a time all the way around the cap with no results.

Josh, The timing belt was replaced because the engine was totally rebuilt. I don't think it would have run for 20,000 miles with bent valves.

Greg

May 4, 2008, 11:34 AM
    I am guessing you're out of ideas. Here is something else I have noticed, and maybe it will help. After the car has sat for a few days, I crank it and immediately it starts and runs for no more than a second and dies. Then it's back to the same thing. I am getting desperate to get this car running (my truck only gets 14 mpg). Are there any other sensors I can test ?

Greg
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Are the ignitor and coil new? Ensure you have the spark plug wires hooked up properly. Are you confident the main relay is okay?

Try cleaning the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing and resetting the ECM.

May 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Yes the Ignitor and coil are new. Today I swapped out the main relay with my friend (his relay in my car and my relay in his car) mine runs in his and his doesn't run in mine. Also swapped the map sensor, no change. Does disconnecting the battery reset the ecm? If so, It's
    Been reset about 20 times in the past few weeks. No codes flashing anyway.
    As for a ground on the thermostat housing?. there is a bracket that holds a wire bundle,
    But I don't see a ground wire... on my car, or my friends.

Greg
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Yes, disconnecting the negative. Battery cable resets the ECM. The main ECM ground is a 3-wire brass connector, attached to the thermostat housing. I don't know much else to suggest. Have you changed the fuel filter recently and checked fuel pressure?

FINAL THOUGHT: When the timing belt was replaced, did the rebuilder ensure TDC was on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke? It makes a big difference. This may be part of the reason why you can smell raw gas in the tail pipe.

May 7, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Yes, I changed the fuel filter last week and need to check pressure. What should pressure be?Is there a possibility that the PRESSURE REGULATOR IS BAD? The timing belt was changed 20,000 miles ago, and the car has run great for the 6 months
    I have owned it. The day it quit, I started it , moved it forward in the driveway, and backed up into a different space, and it died and wouldn't re-start. Would any car run well ( good power and 33 mpg/city-hiway)for this many miles with the timing belt off by 180?
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Timing belt is likely okay, based upon your description.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Test

The fuel pressure regulator maintains a constant fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. When the difference between the fuel pressure and manifold pressure exceeds 43 psi, the diaphragm is pushed upward, and the excess fuel is fed back into the fuel tank through the return line.

Test:

1. Attach fuel pressure gauge to service port of fuel filter. Pressure should be 40-47 psi, with fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched.
    2. Reconnect vacuum hose to fuel pressure regulator.
    3. Check that fuel pressure rises when vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator is disconnected again. If fuel pressure did not rise, replace fuel pressure regulator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 92 Honda civic cranks over but won't Start! [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 civic has 228,000 miles, turns over but won't start. I had replaced the distributor thinking the ignitor was at falt, battery is good, timing belt and components were changed 29,000 miles ago. There is NO check engine light coming on, only when I'm trying to start the car. I can hear the fuel...

Engine Cranks but won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I drove my 97 eclipse gst with 53000 miles the other day and parked it shortly after. It would not start again. Engine would crank but would not start. I checked fuel pump, works when turning the key. I checked fuel rail and it is receiving fuel. I checked spark on all wires it is fine and plugs...

94 civic cranks but won't start until CEL goes off [ 10 Answers ]

#1 Jun 15, 2007, 11:40 PM Edeffect New Member Join Date: Jun 2007 Posts: 1 Honda Civic 94 won't start until check light goes off --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

93' civic error code 0, cranks but won't start [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, My 93 civic hatch died on me the other day while driving. It pretty much felt like I had run out of gas, even though I had a half tank left. So I got it towed to my house, and performed the little paper clip diagnostic test, and when I did, the check engine light came on and stayed on. When...

92' Civic Cranks but won't start. [ 49 Answers ]

I left my car sitting for about 2 days. I came home tried to start it and it started, but sounded horrible. I shut it off and decided to go get new plugs and wires, (it sounded like a bad plug to me). After installing the new plugs and wires the car fired right up but still didn't sound that great....

View more questions Search