Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vacanteyes Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Hard start, stalling 99 honda civic
    I just found instructions on "crankshaft fluctuation sensor" {service and repair} under my seat after clowns replaced my distributor that did not solve my problem. Is this CKF sensor in any way related to my distributor? Or could it be related to hard start stalling.
    1999 Honda Civic 120,000 miles.

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
    If you have a new Ignition Control Module, coil, remanufactured distributor housing, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs (NGK), and spark plugs wires, your Civic's ignition system should be in pretty good shape. Provided all of the above is true, your car should run like a "top," provided they set the timimg correctly and replaced the fuel filter. Positively verify that a NEW fuel filter was installed--this simple oversight could be what's causing your car to stall. The fuel filter should be replaced every 60,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.

The CKP Sensor should only be an issue, if the remanufactured distributor has a problem. These sensors are not serviceable; therefore, if there's a problem with any internal sensor, which should throw a code, the only thing that can be done is to replace the distributor. As I mentioned before, non-Honda distributors have been problematic on this site. From afar, it's hard to tell what's the real problem. Try to find someone who can verify that no codes are being thrown and who can check the engine timing. I'm inclined to give the remanufactured distributor the benefit of the doubt, at this point.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Nov 9, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Isn't the CKF as he is calling it on the crankshaft in the timing belt area. I have only seen a picture of it once last week, that time there was a code and a wire was broken during the timing belt job by the owner. I do not think he is referring to the CKP in the dizzy.

It will need to be hooked up to a scope during a no start scenario to prove if it is bad or not. I believe it is also a magnetic pick up type sensor, one on each side of the crankshaft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

1988 honda civic hard to start when hot [ 3 Answers ]

My 1988 honda civic is sometimes hard to start when hot. After cooling down for 1/2 hour or so, it will then start. What's happening?

2000 civic - idle/stalling/start problems [ 4 Answers ]

"HI, Recently bought 2000 civic 113,000 mi. First problem, surging, check engine light on. Went to autozone for free diagnostic Read code P0505, they said ICV needs replacing. Went back to dealer (under 30 day warranty) and he said it was a malfunction in the system, requiring cleaning...

89 honda civic Stalling, hesistation problem now it won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Just recently purchased this 89 Honda Civic. It has a little problem with muffler but ran fine. Recently the car has been stalling while driving at any speed and restarting immediately or seconds later. I thought it was the gas so I switched from hess to mobil and bought a higher grade. It worked...

'95 Honda Civic DX stalling/starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Last night my car stalled out on me after I made a right turn. When I eased it into a parking spot it refused to start back up. Doing some checks it cranks but there seems to be no fuel hitting the engine(sorry not too familiar with the inner workings of the car). I thought it might be the...

View more questions Search