Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cargo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2005, 08:26 PM
    1987 Honda Civic, trouble starting
    I have a 1987 Honda Civic, 89k miles. It was running great up until about a year ago. It began to not start up right away. Had the carburator replaced with a rebuilt one in January. The problem with starting the car has continued and worsened. Now I never know if it's going to start or not. When I turn the ignition, there is a sound--but it takes 6-12 tries for the car to start. The battery was replaced about a year ago; spark plugs replaced both in January and a month ago (snaffu in communication). I am not mechanical, but would really appreciate some ideas about what the problem could be.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Sep 9, 2005, 02:41 AM
    What error codes are you getting? When did you replace the fuel filter? Did you ever use any fuel system cleaner?

Sep 9, 2005, 08:34 AM
    1987 Honda Civic prob
    I don't know how to find any error codes. I have idiot lights on the dash... is there something somewhere else? I'm not sure about the fuel filter... will check on that today. (religious oil changes every 3 months for the past 14-15 years) I've been reading other threads and other places on the web and see snippets about "starter fluid" being an issue... what do you think??

Have not tried a fuel cleaner... also will check into that today. (thanx)
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Sep 9, 2005, 02:54 PM
    Read the FAQ to find out how to check error codes (I believe it's the same on 3rd and 4th generation civics).

Sep 10, 2005, 03:12 AM
    Great FAQ, CroCivic91
    CroCivic91, just read your FAQ on "My Honda Civic Won't Start"--thanks for the valuable info! I'm very hopeful about checking these things out. Yesterday, I did the fuel system cleaner, sprayed some starter fluid and found out where the (secondary) fuel filter is. Seemed to run a tiny bit better. Still trouble starting this morning, but perhaps slightly better. I'm going to look for those diagnostic lights on the passenger side during the next couple of days. Cheers.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 11, 2005, 08:36 PM
    Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your civic. First off let me let you know that I understand exactly what you are going through. Next. The models 85-87 that the other poster was trying to get you to look for the "codes" exist on ONLY the Si models, which you have already stated that you don't have. You have a DX model. Honda was very wise to make both carb'd and fuel injected models those years. They are the transition years for honda.

Now to your problem. You may have a variety of issues with the car. One plain and simply might be a vacuum leak within the dozens of hoses that are there. That would be my initial summation of the problem you are having.

Did you check the filter by the tank? There are 2 on your car, one in front of the carburator and one right in front of the drivers side rear wheel well under a plastic cover.

Sep 12, 2005, 02:44 PM
    How does one "check the filter"??
    Yeah, I was pretty sure that my car had no ECU codes to decode, but haven't been able to get under the passenger carpet yet. I am (recently) aware of both filters--main (under the gas tank) and secondary (under the air filter). I don't know how to "check" if either of them need replacing. Is there an easy way to check that? One point of good news is that with the fuel cleaner (put in the gas tank) and the use of some start up fluid, it is starting more easily and running more smoothly. I found a useful startup hint for anyone else with this model car (I either read it on another forum or in my manual)--to start the car, do not pump the pedal; depress the pedal half way, turn the key and release the pedal. I'm having much better luck with this method of startup. However, the problem of dying after startup remains. It has to be "warmed up."

How does one check for a vacuum leak? Is that something a novice could do??

Thanks for input, Badpenny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

Honda-civic-96 trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's 96 honda civic with over 100,000 miles would turn over some sluggishly when I tried to crank so I replaced battery and then car would turn over a lot but not crank for several tries and finally it cranked. I drove it down the road and up hills with no problems and pulled in drive way and...

Yet another ('91) Civic having trouble starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '91 Honda Civic DX and it seems like the battery is being slowly drained of its energy. A few weeks ago I came to this forum and looked at CroCivic91's "FAQ - My Honda Civic Won't Start" thread. I had the classic signs of a bad main relay (16 flashes of the diag light and car dying on hot...

Trouble starting 1999 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

My 1999 honda accord does not start occasionly. About once a week, I don't get any start. I turn the key several times like I'm advancing the starter or something, and it will start fine. It takes anywhere from 4 to 15 attempts, but always starts. What is the most likely cause? Starter? Relay?...

92 honda civic not starting [ 1 Answers ]

The car turns over fine but has no spark or fuel. I have checked the fuel pump, the FI relay, ICM, and replaced the ignition switch. I have looked for broken ground wires in the harness and found none. The car has not been modified (no after market stereo). Bought from original owner. The car...

View more questions Search