Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Earl S Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 05:29 PM
    91 Chev truck 1500
    I have replace the ac compress 2 times. The first time the ac clutch was kicking on and off. Replace the compress and clutch and its doing the samething again. The clutch is kicking on and off. When you crank the truck its fine when you speed up the engine the clutch starts clinking.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl S
    I have replace the ac compress 2 times. The first time the ac clutch was kicking on and off. Replace the compress and clutch and its doing the samething again. The clutch is kicking on and off. When you crank the truck its fine when you speed up the engine the clutch starts clinking.
    The short cycling is usually due to low refigerant charge. However you may also have a restriction that' "fooling" the system into appearing to have a low charge. The actual problem may be a faulty cycling switch and/or low pressure switch.

Whenever "the system" detects a low charge, the compressor will short cycle, switch on and off quickly. This is because the oil that lubricates the compressor and seals throughout the system is carried by the refrigerant. If there's low refrigerant, there's no oil, so the compressor is cycled off.
    Once the compressor shuts off, the system pressures go back up, detecting sufficient charge, and cycles back on. Over and over, clicking on and off quickly.

I recommend a qualified ASE certified A/C shop. Many will diag your concern for little or sometimes no charge, hoping you'll buy their repair(s). Always discuss these charges before you hand over your keys.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 chevy 1500 truck [ 3 Answers ]

My truck was dying when I was idle. Then it just died while I was moving and refused to start. I have no spark it won't catch. I tried a new starter, but that did not help. So,. It's been suggested that it may be something to do with not getting any fuel. Please help.

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Dodge Ram 1500 Truck overheating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 4x4 that is overheating. It has a small hole in the radiator that shoots water out when the gas is accelerated. When it overheats after only going a short distance it shuts off. Also had brake work done on passenger side caliper replaced and brake shoes. Trucks...

Repace tail light on 2004 dodge ram 1500 truck [ 3 Answers ]

Need to replace a tail light on a 2004 dodge ram 1500 truck

1994 chev truck elect problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a truck that the volt gauge flickers when it is started. The alternator was repalced twice and two different batteries. Also th whole grounding system was gone through. Now even the wipers work after the truck has been running for awhile not right away and when they start each time the brake...

View more questions Search