Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamela5100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Tax Basis of Personal Residence Converted to Rental Property
    I have a personal residence that is vacant. I moved out 2 1/2 years ago, renting another property. I understand that if I do not sell my property within 3 years,(having lived in the property for 2 of the last 5 years) I will not be able to take the capital gain exclusion. If I decide to rent the property for a few years and then sell it, will the basis of my property be the fair market value when I converted the property to a rental property?

My basis is approximately $100,000. It is worth about $500,000. I am married, so I know I am entitled to an exclusion of up to $500,000.

If I sell it in a few years and the basis remains at $100,000, can I legally sell the property to an LLC that I control or transfer it to a Trust, so that my basis will be increased to today's Fair Market Value?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
    No one has taken a stab at this, so let me try.

The basis for the property would not step up to today's fair market of you start renting it out. In fact, if you take depreciation on the property as a rental business your basis will decrease over time.

As for the LLC question, please clarify - are you are asking whether you could sell the property now to an LLC, which would then be in the business of renting the property out for the next few years is that right? This may be possible, but I am not qualified to answer that question. My guess is that the LLC would have to be an arms-length entity for this to be legit - i.e. would require a separate source of funds to buy the property from you at today's fair market value, or perhaps the LLC would borrow the money from you (seller-financed loan) at fair market interest rates and repay you over time? Sounds like a complicated mess, but perhaps a lawyer familiar with partnerships or limited liability companies could help you with this.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 04:21 PM
    The basis would be the fair market value at the time of conversion, or whatever you paid for it plus improvements, whichever is LESS.

Agree with Ebaines on the LLC question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Violates Personal Rental Agreement, Won't Leave. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, if anyone can help me with this sticky situation please help! My roommate (now exgirlfriend) moved in recently and started causing trouble. She is not on the lease, has never been referred to as a tenant by the manager, and pays less than 10% of the total rent for her own bedroom,...

Stepped-up basis on personal property. [ 1 Answers ]

My father just passed away and all of his property was in his trust, which is less than 1.5 mil. I understand his home now has a stepped-up basis to it's current fair market value. In a safe deposit box I found some gold kruggerands. Do these also get a stepped-up basis. I have no idea how...

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search