Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theraos Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Change primary residence to rental
    I live in a Single-Family home with my family- I am planning to relocate. The current home in California has 30yrFixed/5.5. If I rent this home with current mortgage - it is almost 100% certain that we run into negative cash flow (incl Escrow... ). We are relocating to state of Washington - I would like to buy house there, it is an option we are pursuing seriously. I have presented my case to the current lender requesting his inputs.
    With the Interest Rates at what they are I doubt there is a better product which will help us lower the monthly payments. So in all likelihood I will have to rent-out the current home and move to a rental in Seattle. Any comments and suggestions - please let me know. BTW, some one told me that there are cases where the lender may take interest in the property and will manage the property and I do not have to go to a property management. I will check with this with the lender. Nevertheless does anyone know anything about such case? Thanks again!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
    It will be interesting to learn the current lender's opinion. Meanwhile, isn't there a tax break that helps you, called 'depreciation', that will provide some benefit to you? I would check with my accountant.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Unless you can remain in the local area, I would advise against renting it.

There are so many issues, that require your presence to insure everything is as it should be.

Management companies are notorious for presenting you with a "statement of expenses" each month, in the place of a check for the full rental amount.

Deductions for a variety of things, that with you being so far away, would be helpless to verify.

Repairs to walls, doors, fences, appliances, just to name a few.

I would exhaust every other possible option before I went the long distance landlord route.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
    There is a provision in the tax law for real property transfers. Basically you can swap properties. That might be someothing for you to look into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to foreclose on 2 properties but can we keep our primary residence? [ 2 Answers ]

Im going to try and make a long story short as possible. We lived in California for 8 years. We bought 2 houses. We had to move for my husbands job, so both are rentals. One renter hasn't paid the rent in 3 months(house #1) the other is having a hard time making the rent. Mind you they aren't...

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

Primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I purchased a home in Missouri after the bank foreclosed on my mother's home. She lives with me now at the new house. I have recently decided to move and possibly get married. I would like my mother to be able to continue living at the house if possible. I don't believe that...

401k primary residence loan [ 15 Answers ]

I took out a loan from my 401k for primary residence purchase and deal fell through. What can I do with the money now other than paying it all back to pay off the loan.(and lock that money up for 12 months) Can I use it for other purposes? Can I use part of it to pay back another 401k non-prin....

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

View more questions Search