Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phdhub1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Depreciation on temporary rental of personal residence
    I rented my house out for one year while on sabbatical. I claimed depreciation for the fraction of the year in 2006 during the time the house was rented, and now need to claim the remainder of that year for the time the house was rented in 2007. The problem is that my tax preparation software, TAXACT, appears to allow only two ways to allow a termination of service/disposal of the property: sale of the property or like-kind exchange, neither being the case at hand. How do I indicate a date at which the property was retired from service, i.e. converted back to personal use, so that the software doesn't assign a full year of depreciation to my form? On what federal form would this be reported and how? Thanks for any help here.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
    State you used the house for personal use for the days you lived there, then TaxAct will pro-rate the deprecation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental depreciation: Form 3115; effects of unrented intervals [ 1 Answers ]

We have a studio in our back yard that we rent out to artists as a workshop. I discovered last year, and it was confirmed by this forum (thank you very much) that I had been given incorrect advice by an accountant when we first started renting in late 1997 to not take depreciation. So now, I'm...

Does a j1 visa holder non residence receive more taxes back than a US residence? [ 6 Answers ]

Last year... my taxes were 1100 dollars(federal + state ),, that is what my w2 showed... I got back 1000 dollars for those 4 months i worked that year... This year my taxes are 4000 dollars (federal + state) that what it shows my w2 and its more money cause i worked 12 months.. right? ...

Tax Basis of Personal Residence Converted to Rental Property [ 2 Answers ]

I have a personal residence that is vacant. I moved out 2 1/2 years ago, renting another property. I understand that if I do not sell my property within 3 years,(having lived in the property for 2 of the last 5 years) I will not be able to take the capital gain exclusion. If I decide to rent the...

Roommate Violates Personal Rental Agreement, Won't Leave. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, if anyone can help me with this sticky situation please help! My roommate (now exgirlfriend) moved in recently and started causing trouble. She is not on the lease, has never been referred to as a tenant by the manager, and pays less than 10% of the total rent for her own bedroom,...

F1 --> H1 Non-residence or Residence [ 1 Answers ]

I came to the US in summer 2004 as an F1(citizen of China), finished an MS in May 2006, started a job on OPT in July and my H1 began on October 2006. I am not sure whether I should file the Federal tax as a Non-residence or a residence for the tax year 2006? Thank you

View more questions Search