Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wyo-Ming Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 09:06 AM
    MIL lights on 2002 Honda Civic
    2002 Honda Civic LX has red service engine light and amber check engine light. Amber light is a little engine outline icon. Does the amber check engine light come on when the manufacturer's scheduled maintenance is due? My red service engine light comes on when oil change is due. Amber engine icon came on at 30,100 miles, when 30K expensive dealer service schedule is called for.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2008, 10:00 AM

Any time the Check Engine Light comes on, you should get the code(s) read. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-Ming View Post
    2002 Honda Civic LX has red service engine light and amber check engine light. Amber light is a little engine outline icon. Does the amber check engine light come on when the manufacturer's scheduled maintenance is due? My red service engine light comes on when oil change is due. Amber engine icon came on at 30,100 miles, when 30K expensive dealer service schedule is called for.
    An engine outlined light is your check engine light. Like tx advised, have a scan done to determine if there are any codes stored in the computer.

Also, you don't need to go back to the dealer for your 30K service; usually it's just routine maintenance that a certified shop can do for you at a lesser cost.

Dec 29, 2008, 03:41 PM

2002 honda civic -- question is not what to do about the light if it comes on; question is: does this amber-colored check engine come on to show that 30K mile maintenance is due?
    (not the red "service engine" oil change light.)
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 03:42 PM

Usually not; a check engine light is related to your emissions, not your maintenance. That's why we both gave the advice that we did.

Dec 29, 2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks, guys. I reconnected a lose ground connection in the driver-side dome light switch. That seems to have cured the problem... hmmmmm, wonder why? Alarm is also connected to that circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic 2002 does not start [ 1 Answers ]

My honda civic 2002, run out of gas, I PUT A GALLON OF GAS AND NOW THE CAR DOES NOT START. WHAT CAN I D0

2002 Honda Civic A/C Not Blowing Cold Air [ 2 Answers ]

The air conditioning just blows warm air. The a/c was working at one point, but it began alternating with the hot air a few months ago. It would blow cold air just fine, but as soon as I stopped somewhere and after say an hr I got back in the car the a/c would blow hot air again. This happened...

View more questions Search