Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tspoon84 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Honda accord erratic rpm and cutting out under load
    Hi,

I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my car. I have a 1990 honda accord ex automatic with 160k. A while ago my tachometer would start fluctiating erratically while driving, and it was determined that the cheap distributor I bought off eBay was probably the problem. I bought a new (actually remanufactured) distributor from autozone, and shortly after it started doing it again, even worse sometimes to the point where I think it is going to stall. So I don't know if it is REALLY the distributor, because I have replaced it twice now.

Now the next problem, I have no idea if it is related to this or not. Now this problem is new, I have never had it before. It happens mainly when I am taking off from a stop. I hear a clicking on the left by my knee at the same time that the engine feels like it completely cuts off for a split second and comes back. Now, it seems to do it anytime I give it more than half throttle. Any suggestions for this are greatly appreciated. I can't trust my car the way it is and am not ready to buy another car yet. Thank you!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Have you replaced the fuel filter in this car? It sounds like you are not getting enough fuel to the engine from the way you describe the problems. Try that - they are not expensive and should be relatively easy to replace.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 08:02 PM
    . Perform the tests, in Sections A and B, below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Be sure to run the K-Test. The ECM may be failing and it is causing the main relay, near your left knee, to go beserk.

I only recommend genuine Honda distributors. There have been many problems on this site with members who have installed new aftermarket distributors. Personally, I would run the tests above and likely install a new genuine Honda distributor, along with a new Ignition Control Module and coil. On older Hondas, problems tend to be failing Ignition Control Modules, coils, ECMs, and main relays.
    tspoon84 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 04:44 AM
    OK, today something happened that I know is related, and maybe it would narrow it down. When I went to start my car, the "sport" light was staying on, and it would crank but not fire at all. After taking out the key and putting it back in a few times, the "S" light went out, and it would fire up for a split second, and then shut off as the "S" light came back on. I finally got it to start after I turned it to "on" and something by my left knee was buzzing, after 15 seconds or so it stopped buzzing, the "S" light went out, and my car started right up and drove fine.

Could the distributor cause this? I will still try the K-test tonight, but I'm trying to narrow it down.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 07:25 AM
    It sounds like the ECM (computer) is bad, which the K-Test should confirm. I'm virtually certain of this. Here's how to replace the ECM:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235038

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Accord Fluctuating RPM in idle [ 26 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that is fluctuating between 900 and 1400 rpms while idling and after the car has warmed up. What is going on?

1996 Honda Accord erratic idle [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Honda Accord. I recently had a problem with an extreme erratic idle. It seems to only do this when the engine is cold. Once the vehicle warms up, It returns to a normal idle. I recently replaced the spark plugs, oil, anti-freeze, and air filter, which had no effect on the...

1992 Honda Accord - RPM jumps [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Accord 80,000 miles. When I start the car first thing for the day, and start, when the rpm gets to around 3000 the gauge jumps all over. It goes up into the red and back down. The engine does not seem to be over reving or hesitating. After about 20 minutes running all returns to...

1998 honda accord rpm fluctuates at 4000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, when I first start the car it can Rev up once past 4000RPM. Any time after that it will not past 4000RPM and it will fluctuate. If I turn off the car and restart, it will past 4000RPM as if I'm resetting something. I recently changed these parts: Throttle body Throttle Position...

View more questions Search