Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgiaGRL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 01:56 PM
    92 honda accord keeps cutting off
    My 92 Honda Accord keeps cutting off. It started about a week ago. It would cut off just while I was driving and I was never going above 60. Now it will cut off if I'm at a stop light or right after I crank it up. I've had the car in the shop for a couple of days now but the mechanic said that he doesn't know what it is. He has changed the fuel filter, pump and main relay... fail. The car is still cutting off. It will run for awhile and then randomly cut off, the mechanic is even puzzled. I read online that it might be the ignition coil but when I brought this up to my mechanic he strongly suggested that the ignition coil was the issue. PLEASE HELP... I can't afford another car and the rental that I have is costing me so much money.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 02:39 PM
    The problem should be solved by replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) inside the distributor. Be sure to apply silicone heat transfer compound, which often comes with the new ICM, to the back of the ICM. If the problem persists, replace the coil. External Accord coils, which you have, are not nearly as problematic as internal coils on Civics and later model Accords.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Ignition Control Module (ICM or Igniter) Replacement

Bench testing ICMs is virtually useless. It does not come close to simulating the extreme heat that often causes this component to fail. I recommend replacing this critical and problematic component every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable, recording any radio codes first.

2. Remove hex-head machine screws (3), securing distributor cap to housing, using an 8mm nut driver.

3. Move distributor cap and wires off to the side.

4. Remove machine screw securing rotor to shaft, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver. A 1/4-inch drive magnetic bit holder (e.g. Wiha 52650) with a #2 Phillips head bit works really well. It may be necessary to "hit" the starter once or twice, in order to rotate rotor for access to mounting screw.

5. Remove rotor and leak cover.

6. Unfasten ICM wires, and set coil aside.

7. Remove both screws securing heat sink to housing, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver.

8. Remove heat sink from distributor and unfasten both screws mounting ICM to heat sink, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver.

9. Clean connections with #240 abrasive cloth or steel wool.

10. Coat the back of the new ICM (or old ICM, if reusing) with a thin, even coat of silicone heat transfer compound. This special silicone grease increases heat transfer to the heat sink. Failure to apply silicone heat transfer compound will cause the ICM to quickly fail. Arctic Silver 5 is recommended by an AMHD member, which is available at Radio Shack.

If the ICM and the heat sink are simply placed together, the small air gaps (insulator) that naturally exist between them will inhibit heat transfer. By filling these gaps, the compound allows a direct path through which heat can travel. Failure to apply this grease is one reason why some Hondas suddenly die. Attention to detail makes a big difference with modern day electronics.

11. Mount ICM to heat sink and reinstall ICM, ICM terminal wires, leak cover, rotor, and distributor cap. Ensure female ICM connectors fit snugly--crimp with pliers, if necessary.

Conceptually, the ICM is a large output transistor (switch) controlling current through the primary coil. ICMs replace points and condenser in older vehicles. In the primary coil, current builds to 5 to 12 amps, generating lots of heat (due to inductance). Then, the trigger signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor controls when the ICM "switches off" current to the ground wire of the primary coil, causing amperage to go to zero. When this happens, 12 to 14 volts in the primary coil is "stepped-up" to 30,000 volts in the secondary coil. This process creates a "type" of alternating current required for the coil (step-up transformer) to work. In a properly working ICM, timing is precisely when needed to fire each spark plug.

Bottom Line: ICMs take a beating.

Note: Distributor cap contacts can oxidize or corrode, creating high secondary resistance, which can result in rotor and ICM failure, reduced mileage, CEL coming on, catalytic converter failure, or failed emissions test. The secondary ignition system will destroy the ICM and coil, if you do not properly maintain the ignition system. This means replacing the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wires every 60,000 miles.

WARNING: Intermittent ICM failure can allow fuel to build-up in the exhaust system. Detonation can then blow the exhaust system off the vehicle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda accord cutting out while driving [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord that starts cutting out while under load like a hill or when the gas tank gets down to about 1/4 I've noticed the gas gauge seems to go down before it starts any ideas

91 Honda Accord cutting out problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda accord lx. The problem is when I'm driving(5-15min after the car is fully warmed up) it it will cut out on me when I'm coming to a stop or at a stop,all lights and power will be lost except the check engine light on the dash and the only thing that seems to make it run for longer...

Honda Accord cutting out 1996 110,000 miles 2ltr [ 6 Answers ]

Have had weird problems with my honda accord aerodeck 1996, 2-litre 110,000 miles, it started by cutting out and starting staight away. Then it got progressively worse, cutting out and taking up to 25minutes to restart. The garage has changed the ignition switch, fuel filter, fuel pump relay,...

1992 Honda Accord cutting off [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Accord. I have replaced the timing belt/system. The car starts up at first and then once you start driving it, it cuts off. You have to let the car sit for about an hour or so and then it will start but only go so far. We have replaced the main relay switch. What else...

Honda accord erratic rpm and cutting out under load [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my car. I have a 1990 honda accord ex automatic with 160k. A while ago my tachometer would start fluctiating erratically while driving, and it was determined that the cheap distributor I bought off eBay was probably the problem. I...

View more questions Search