Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kaykay's Avatar
    kaykay Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 21, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Selling/buying a car to/from a private party
    I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following...

    1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do?
    > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer?
    > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate?
    > c) Are you going to be still responsible for any troubles with the vehicle or license number after the selling date which you put on the title if you don't cancel the registration/tag/license plate?

    2) When you buy a car from a private party, what do you need to do?
    > a)Do you just need to get a title with seller's signiture from him and bring it to a office to register the car and apply for a title?
    > b)if you cannot go to a office to register the car on the day of purchase, unitl you do it, can't you drive the car?

    I live in Atlanta, GA.

    Thank you in advance.


    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7692

    May 21, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Have a bill of sale, make sure it states clearly "AS IS" "NO WARRANTIES"
    Also see and verify their ID, don't accept checks they can bring cash, or meet them at their bank to get cash.

    Yes, you will have to sign the title and give it to them, after you get the money.

    Take the plates off the vechile, no there is nothing for you to cancell, but keep a copy of the bill of sale which his name, address and ID.
    And as noted be sure to see his ID to be sure it is correct. IF buyer does not take title and register it, you have written proof of the sale.

    You are not going to be in trouble, since you have proof of the date of sale.

    2. When you buy, you get a clear title ( no lien) and a bill of sale. You also get and see ID of the person you are buying it from, Make sure it is the person who actually owns the car.

    Once you get the title you will have to take it to the county court house, and register it, get a new tag ( and have already bought insurance on it)

    YOu are suppose to have a temp tag before you drive it.
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    May 21, 2007, 08:24 AM
    For the buying side of the transaction: if you do a web search on "automobile title" together with the name of your state, you should get to your state's Department of Motor Vhicles web site, and there you will find information on how to register your car and get a new title in your name. You will of course need proof of insurance.
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,379, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

    May 21, 2007, 08:26 AM
    When you sell a car call your insurance co. and cancel the coverage. You will get some money back. Private sales are all "as is" but it doesn't hurt to restated it on the bill of sale. CASH CASH no checks, even certified bank checks can be faked. Well I guess cash can be faked too but that's not likely in a car deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unauthorized Charge on card and release of private information to a third party [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out of work due to illenss and my storage unit was in arrears, when I called to see how much I owed I was told the account was current I asked how and she said it was paid for on my credit card, I told the rep that I did not have a credit card and she looked it up and said it was the...

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

Buying new rental prop before selling existing [ 1 Answers ]

We want to avoid taxes on sale of existing rental which has appreciated almost 100% in the five years we have owned it. We might need to complete the purchase of the intended replacement before the sale of existing is final. Is there a provision for tax avoidance when the replacement property...

View more questions Search