Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    matttono's Avatar
    matttono Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 8, 2009, 06:10 PM
    How do I transfer a title to an abandened car when the owner is not around.It is a
    Family member that left the state and I am stuck with the car and I need to get rid of it but how can I if the title is not in my name
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 8, 2009, 06:12 PM

    Have it picked up as abandoned.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 8, 2009, 06:41 PM

    No you really can not get a title, but you will have to treat it as an abandoned car.
    asphaltangel23's Avatar
    asphaltangel23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Feb 8, 2009, 08:50 PM

    Contact your local clerks office and they should be able to help you :)
    ShadyLady's Avatar
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10
    Junior Member

    Feb 11, 2009, 12:01 AM

    If you live in an area where the junkyard refuses to pick it up without a title you will have to do a few things:
    1.Contact your family member to send you the title.
    2. If you don't know where this person is you have to apply through the state capitol DMV and give them reason why you want to apply for a title. There are cxertain forms you must send in, so you will need the right ones. Make sure you get them at the local DMV. The state DMV has to give approval for the a new title, and it will cost you for this.
    You have to send a certified letter to the owner's "last know address" saying that it is abandonded and what you are going to do with it.

    It is all a legal process that must be followed in some states or else the owner can come and sue you. (you could then charge for storage fees). In some areas, like where I live, a junkyard will not pick a car up without a title.

    3. If you don't want to go through all this and still want to get rid of the car, just put it out on the street and call the city. They'll come and tow it away as an abandoned car. Of course, they will charge your family member for the towing charges and if not paid will take his or her license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I transfer title of a vehicle I am the legal owner of? [ 2 Answers ]

I have possession of a vehicle in California that I need to sell. I am the legal owner, and the registered owner told me I can sell the vehicle on his behalf. He is currentlly in county jail and needs the money to make bail. He can't sign the transfer papers... this is my problem... any help,...

Transfer deed owner dead 8 yrs do ourselves [ 1 Answers ]

My husband mother passed away 8 years ago, the house was left to him we are now finally going to transfer the deed to his name how can we do this ourselves?

Where can my niece get a title for a abandened mobile home on her property [ 2 Answers ]

My niece bought some land that has an abandened trailer on it she asked the mortgage company if they had a title for it and they told her that they didn't want the trailer so they gave it to the state of Alabama . She contacted the state for a new title but they told her she would have to send in...

Transferring Title When the Owner is Deceased [ 6 Answers ]

My grandmother has lived in her Michigan home for about 50 years now. As she has increased in age she wants to transfer the title of her home to one of her daughters who will take possession of it upon her death. However the house was originally owned by my grandfathers mother and since they were...

Transfer of Warranty of Deed upon death of co-owner [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother transferred her house from herself alone to both she and I by registering a new Warranty Deed in her county (in Nebraska). At the time she executed the transfer, she explained to me that she was doing this so that the property would transfer to me upon her death rather than have to...

View more questions Search