Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eeseely's Avatar
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member
     
    #1

    Sep 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Electric Locks on Dodge Caravan Van
    Some time ago, my 2005 DODGE Caravan's electric door locks stopped working.
    The manual said that the controlling "circuit breaker" is located near the steering column; but it also advises the owner to take the unit in for service. I looked around the steering column, both under the hood and under the dash, and I did not see anything resembling a circuit breaker.
    This morning I stopped at a DODGE dealership and posed the question to their service people. They told me to look in the black box (under the hood) which contains the fuses and relays. Guess what---it was not there.
    Can anyone out there shed any light on where the circuit breaker (or fuse) is located?
    swampfox's Avatar
    swampfox Posts: 4, Reputation: 2
    New Member
     
    #2

    Sep 25, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eeseely
    Some time ago, my 2005 DODGE Caravan's electric door locks stopped working.
    The manual said that the controlling "circuit breaker" is located near the steering column; but it also advises the owner to take the unit in for service. I looked around the steering column, both under the hood and under the dash, and I did not see anything resembling a circuit breaker.
    This morning I stopped at a DODGE dealership and posed the question to their service people. They told me to look in the black box (under the hood) which contains the fuses and relays. Guess what---it was not there.
    Can anyone out there shed any light on where the circuit breaker (or fuse) is located?
    I fixed an identical problem (locks won't work electrically with buttons or remote, but do work manually) by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit overnight. When I hooked it up in the morning, all was fine. I had heard that an extended loss of power causes some sort of electronics reset, and it did work!
    eeseely's Avatar
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member
     
    #3

    Sep 25, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Thanks for your input... ---I was just thinking of doing just that...
    By the way, my owner's manual states there is a "circuit breaker" near the steering
    Column, but I was not able to locate it.
    The manual says strongly suggests that the van be taken in to a dealer for servicing/fixing.
    I'll let you know if I fix it that way.
    CaptainRich's Avatar
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,488, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert
     
    #4

    Sep 25, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eeseely
    Thanks for your input...---I was just thinking of doing just that...
    By the way, my owner's manual states there is a "circuit breaker" near the steering
    column, but I was not able to locate it.
    The manual says strongly suggests that the van be taken in to a dealer for servicing/fixing.
    I'll let you know if I fix it that way.
    That manual was written for the dealer...

    The circuit breakers may be under the dash near the column. And if you do the battery disconnect, you only have to leave it off for a few minutes. You'll lose radio station presets and the clock, but if that's all you got to do to fix it, those are minor.
    exasperdodge's Avatar
    exasperdodge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #5

    Oct 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    That manual was written for the dealer...

    The circuit breakers may be under the dash near the column. And if you do the battery disconnect, you only have to leave it off for a few minutes. You'll lose radio station presets and the clock, but if that's all you gotta do to fix it, those are minor.


    I am having the same problem with the locks not working and I saw a similar post telling me to disconnect my battery to reset the system. This worked for about 3 days then the problem came back. I tried it again and it worked for about 4 days. My wife just drove the car home and is reporting the locks have stopped working again. I am certainly getting fed up with doges as my automatic dodge stratus has just recently had shifting problems due to bad sensor.:(
    eeseely's Avatar
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member
     
    #6

    Feb 22, 2008, 01:47 PM
    My electric door locks are now working.
    The problem was solved by programming the van's computer.
    Just thought you guys might be interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

1997 dodge caravan [ 2 Answers ]

It is hestant when taking off from a stop sign and then again at high speedsthe service engine light is now on

No power from 96' Dodge Caravan [ 2 Answers ]

Lately, after idling at a stop sign, my 96' Dodge Caravan has very little power when I push on the gas. I have to push the gas pedal quite a ways down before it will even go. It doesn't always do it, but enough for me to know something's wrong. (It has over 100,000 miles on it if that helps) I'm...

2000 Dodge caravan [ 1 Answers ]

When I hit the breaks the doors unlock and lock and the interior lights blink. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?


View more questions Search