Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    amicoinf88's Avatar
    amicoinf88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 29, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Passport to the Bahamas
    I'm in the Army, getting ready for overseas. My fathers planning a trip to the Bahamas for me. Do I need a passport? Or will my Military ID and birth certificate be good enough?
    LONDON72's Avatar
    LONDON72 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3
    New Member

    Jul 11, 2008, 03:23 PM
    This is a line that in close too the bottom of the article you must have a

    U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders check with you co or contact the dept of state but with out travel orders you will a passport go to triple a that will save you a lot of money providing you are a member.

    Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

    Areas that fall under the WHTI:

    The Caribbean region (includes 17 regions)


    ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.
    The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Securityís website.

    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driverís license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
    On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.
    Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.


    U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.
    The Passport Card: Passport card applications are currently being accepted in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. Based on current projections, we expect the passport card to be in full production beginning in July 2008. We will provide additional updates as available. Once in production, the passport card it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
    WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:

    Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    State Issued Enhanced Driverís License (when available)
    Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
    U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders ******** look here *********
    U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    Form I-872 American Indian Card
    For further information see U.S. Customs and Border protection.

    The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.
    The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating from Bahamas back to NY [ 4 Answers ]

I was granted an L1 visa on September 19th 2006 and started working in NY on October 28th 2006. MY tax return for 2006 was filed as a Non-Resident Alien using form 1040NR. I continued working in NY until October 2nd 2007 at which point I relocated to the Bahamas, but still employed by my US...

Traveling to the Bahamas with a bench warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to the Bahamas and recently found out (5 days ago) that I have fines I did not pay in the state of Utah from 11 years ago, I also found out there is a 1500 dollar bench warrant for not paying these fines, will I have problems going to the bahamas or coming back into the country. Worried...

Time share lease in the Bahamas [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 30 year lease I bought for about $15000 in 1986. The property is based in the Bahamas. Lease expires in 2026. The maintenance fees are killing me. I want to get out of it . The time share company won't allow it so they can keep sticking me with the maintenance fees and special assessments....

Do I need a passport? [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning a trip to Memphis, from Canada. Is there a law yet, to have to have a passport. We are going in March. Do I need to do this?

View more questions Search