Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lksantana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Need answer Quick!
    My husband did a job for a friend of the family that had water damage to the house, he went over the problem but they said all was well so he did his work ,well a few years later they had problems, so they took legal action and are suing him, they want him to do the job again except he won't because this will be an ongoing problem with the water damage and they refuse to sign some kind of waiver or contract saying he is not responsible for the problems. They have a lot of money and hate to spend any of it so they are being very unreasonable. So my husband offered to give them their money back which was $3600.00 for the job, well they declined and are now suing him for $19,000. We just can not pay that money we have six kids a house payment, car payment and bills so it's just out of our means, so my question is, if he files bankruptcy will he still have to pay them there money? We are not bad people he just chose a bad job and we don't know what to do. Our family is going to suffer if we don't get some kind of answer, we have no money for an attorney so we are lost, hope you can provide us with some advice Thank You.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Hello iks:

Hold on, Young Lady. Relax. Being sued is a long way from having to pay anything.

In the first place, maybe two years is beyond the statute of limitations in your jurisdiction. That would stop them in their tracks. Next, if your husband did good work, he should defend himself. Have him tell the judge exactly what you told us.

Of course, it's easy to say now, but he should have had a written contract from the beginning. If he had, it would have covered him from this liability. But, never fear. Just tell the truth, and if the judge believes he did good work, those people will lose.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
    First does your court allow 19,000 in small claims, that is way over the limit for our small claims court ( thus the name small claim) are you sure this is not in regular court ?

But in small claims you merely go in and tell the truth, most judges use common sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too Quick [ 4 Answers ]

I am suppose to be getting married very soon. I am very nervous about it. Although I have known my fiancé for 12 years, we have only really been dating about 3 months. We told my two kids, 17 and 20 years old. They took it hard. I am afraid that I will lose touch with them or they may resent me for...

Another quick one [ 7 Answers ]

Okay thanks so much for the responses earlier they really help... Now I have been with my boyfriend for 3 almost 4 years. 2 years serious, we both were young and cheated in the past but I can't stop accusing him. He lives with me, we do everything together so what the heck is going on? I don't...

I need an answer quick please [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is sasha and I need someone's advice... my boyfriend is the kind of guy that has never cheated and he never will. The problem is is that I just moved to vegas from Minnesota and he came with me. He hates it here he has no friends, and no family out here. We are now constantly fighting...

Need Help Quick [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Virginia and have a bi-polar daughter who will be 18 on Sunday. She has been abusive to me for years and I need her to leave my house, once she is 18. She is refusing. How can I legally make her leave my house? I am desperate.

Quick queston for any that can answer! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, was wondering if anyone knowns the quick protein diet plan, because I used this site about a year ago and one of the professionals gve it t me but I lost it. I goes something like you can eat eggs and bacon for dinner and you couldn'e eat any white veggies. It was a very straight forward...

View more questions Search