Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhart35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
    1992 Honda Accord - RPM jumps
    I have a 1992 Honda Accord 80,000 miles. When I start the car first thing for the day, and start, when the rpm gets to around 3000 the gauge jumps all over. It goes up into the red and back down. The engine does not seem to be over reving or hesitating. After about 20 minutes running all returns to normal for the rest of the day. I have had the main relay and igniter replaced by the dealer. No change. Any ideas??
    ms180sx Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Mar 25, 2008, 08:41 AM
    U siad the engine doesn't increase in rpms, only the gauge? Check the wires feeding the info to the gauge, sucha s rpm signal from distrib to ecu, ecu to the gauge and ground wires.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 09:23 AM
    First, I would clean the connections going to the ignitor. Pay particular attention to the male and female connections going to the BLU wire, which "drives" the tachometer. I would apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the ignitor's male connections. Ensure female connectors are tight--crimp with pliers, if necessary. Second, test/replace the tachometer. Third, I would replace the coil.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 09:36 AM
    First, I would clean the connections going to the ignitor. Pay particular attention to the male and female connections going to the BLU wire, which "drives" the tachometer. I would apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the ignitor's male connections. Ensure female connectors are tight--crimp with pliers, if necessary. Second, test/replace the tachometer. Third, I would replace the coil. Fourth, check for any vacuum hose leaks. Fifth, check the Fast Idle Thermo Valve. Sixth, check/clean the Idle Air Control Valve.
    jbrch882 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 08:34 PM
    I have been having the same problem with my 95 accord The dealer has told me it's the ignition control module.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Here's how to change it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Consider replacing the coil and rotor at the same time, since you will have the distributor open.
    DonaldM_23 Posts: 86, Reputation: 10

Aug 28, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dhart35
    I have a 1992 Honda Accord 80,000 miles. When I start the car first thing for the day, and start out, when the rpm gets to around 3000 the guage jumps all over. It goes up into the red and back down. The engine does not seem to be over reving or hesitating. After about 20 minutes running all returns to normal for the rest of the day. I have had the main relay and igniter replaced by the dealer. No change. Any ideas???
    Here is the problem... Change your vacuum Control Box, IAC and intake manifold gasket... simple... just had my accord done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Accord Fluctuating RPM in idle [ 26 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that is fluctuating between 900 and 1400 rpms while idling and after the car has warmed up. What is going on?

98 1998 Honda Accord Ex Temperature Jumps Up And Down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody.. I have a 98 honda accord coupe ex v-6 with 87000 miles on it.. the problem I'm having is sometimes when the car is in drive or park for a few minutes the temperature gauge will go really high like the car is running hot.. the fans will come on but the gauge will still be really...

Honda Accord 1992 ex [ 1 Answers ]

I would llke to know how do I go about replacing the spark plug tube seals? Thanks

1998 honda accord rpm fluctuates at 4000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, when I first start the car it can Rev up once past 4000RPM. Any time after that it will not past 4000RPM and it will fluctuate. If I turn off the car and restart, it will past 4000RPM as if I'm resetting something. I recently changed these parts: Throttle body Throttle Position...

1992 honda accord [ 1 Answers ]

I drove this car 5 miles and then it died. Would not restart went back in 30 minutes and it did start but then died again. It will crank but will not start. Need some answers if anyone has any. We checked and found that there is power at the fuel pump. We already replaced the fuel filter as a cheap...

View more questions Search