Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeaninemichelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 06:47 AM
    How long does it take for gel to dry when applied over fresh paint?sh paint
    I painted my stairs and then applied a coat of gel stain. A week later, the surface is still not dry. How long will this take and is there a method for hurrying the drying process?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 07:00 AM
    You put a Gell Stain OVER paint? Why? Gel Stain is just a non-runny stain used to color bare wood to a desired tone... its not meant to go over paint.. or be a finsh coat on anything.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Gelcoats are epoxy or resin based.

I doubt that it will ever dry. Wait another week and then strip it with 5F5 and scrapers and steel wool.

When I was little in the 50s I painted a picture on a glass jar with exterior house paint and then applied a coat of shellac (resin based) before it was 100% dry, and it never ever dried.

(I do believe that gel stains are suggested by paint stores for going over OLD chipped paint like often found on stairs, because it's supposed to cover all that with the least amount of work. Not over new paint!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Gel Stain Over Paint [ 21 Answers ]

The staircase in my 100+ year old home is in need of some sort of refinishing. The steps themselves appear to be some sort of wood (I was told by a contractor doing other work in my house that they were pine), and have been painted, and then were covered with carpeting. We pulled up the carpeting,...

Is there any reason to paint the ceiling with paint when the white primer looks good? [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished putting up new drywall and sprayed a white primer on the ceiling - 2 coats. The ceiling looks good and I'm trying to decide if I really need to paint the ceiling now or can I just leave the primer as it is?

While painting a table top, I applied 2 coats of paint, then I noticed some dark stah [ 1 Answers ]

While painting a table top, I applied 2 coats of paint, then I noticed some dark stain spots showing through my paint... can I put a coat of kilz on it now and then put a third coat of my paint on it?

How long does paint have to dry before putting tape on it [ 3 Answers ]

I am painting a stripe on the wall. I just painted the walls. How long do I have to wait to put painters tape on wall for the stripe without paint coming off on tape?

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search