Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mesing2u Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Sprout from Japanese Maple to regrow new tree?
    There is a Japanese Maple in our family graveyard. My question is.......Is there any way to take a sprout from the tree and eventually replant that to make another tree? I have noticed that it has a couple of small sprouts or branches coming out of the ground next to the tree and I didn't know if taking these would kill the tree or if it would even work. I have been told that it could be done but I do not have any experience with this. If it can be done could someone explain the best way as to not harm the current tree.
    thanks so much in advance :)
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 08:43 PM

Those most likely not sprouts or suckers that's uncommon in japs. They have the helicopters that seed. In the right conditions you can get hundreds of small saplings from a tree.

How big is the tree and how many points are on the leaves which can determine what Kind of jap maple it is.

I grow Red Jap maples but it comes from the seeds in the fall that starts growing in the spring

May 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Those most likely not sprouts or suckers thats uncommon in japs. They have the helicopters that seed. In the right conditions you can get hundreds of small saplings from a tree.

How big is the tree and how many points are on the leaves which can determine what Kind of jap maple it is.

I grow Red Jap maples but it comes from the seeds in the fall that starts growing in the spring

May I ask what is a helicopter? Lol The tree is approximately 3-4 foot tall and has dark red to purple leaves, more purple I would say... and I am guessing 5-6 points on the leaves? I will go and look tomorrow to be sure and let you know. We mow there every 2-3 weeks and I have noticed new little branches coming out from the base on the ground. They have gotten several inches tall and the tree has really grown... sorry, I am not familiar with the tree lingo. :o
    Thanks
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 09:20 PM

I just got a sprout from my friend on Mothers Day. It is doing fine sitting in water and I he pulls them up all the time. His trees are fine
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 10:22 PM

When you look at the grass in the spring look for some maples that have started. In a good year I get about 300 trees from one tree in the spring. Conditions needs to be right It takes about 100 days for th seeds outer covering to crack and germinate. I sell them after 2 years of growing.

The helicopters ( seeds)
    A Close View of Japanese Maple Seed Pods Photographic Print at AllPosters.com

1. Store your seeds in a cool dry place until you are ready to start stratifying them. A paper bag or envelope stored in your garage is fine.

2. Select the date you would like to plant your seedlings outside. This should be after the danger of frost has past in the spring.

2. Count back wards 90 days from your planting date. That's the day you want to start stratifying your seeds.

3. Stratifying is the process of tricking the seeds into thinking that they have gone through a natural cold, damp period outside. Break the wing off your seeds, and soak them in warm to hot water overnight. Use hot tap water, put the seeds in the water, then just let the water cool to room temperature with the seeds soaking in the water for 24 hours.

4. Next place the seeds in a plastic freezer bag in damp sand, peat, vermiculite, whatever you happen to have on hand. Any of these things will work. The medium you use should be damp, not soaking wet. Poke a few holes in the bag. Place the bag in your refrigerator. Do not put the bag too far back in your fridge where the seeds might freeze, you don't want it quite that cold.

5. The bag should remain in the fridge for 90 days. Or until the seeds start to sprout. Check the bag once a week after 60 days or so. Once sprouting begins you can pick the sprouted seeds from the bag and plant them in a flat of well drained potting soil. Make sure the soil is well drained. If you're not sure, mix in some perlite before planting. When you water the soil you want the water to run through the soil quickly.

6. When planting the sprouted seeds in the flat just barely cover the seed and the sprouted root with soil.

7. Water thoroughly after planting, but allow the soil to dry almost completely before watering again. It's important that the soil temperature stay as close to 70 degrees F. as possible, that's why you allow the soil to dry before watering again. A lamp shining on the flat will help to warm the soil.

8. If after 90 days your seeds are not sprouting in the bag, just sow them in a flat and treat as described in step 6.

9. Once your seedlings start to grow they'll need sunlight to develop properly.

Its very tricky growing small Jap trees. Too much sunlight and they fry quick. To little and they just sit there. That's why they can be so expensive to buy. Many people I sell to kill them

May 15, 2009, 10:44 PM

Thank you so much for the help! I will print this info off and use it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I plant a japanese maple right next to the house [ 4 Answers ]

Are there any reasons against planting the tree right next to my house? My next to, I mean about 3 feet from the outside wall. I would try to get one of the smaller varieties, but someone said that I might need to worry about the root structure damaging the foundation. Anyone?

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old beautiful maple tree in my backyard that looks like it is dying. The leaves last year didn't get as big as they usually did and now this year most of the tree did not bud and what ever did is turning brown and drying up. It is June and it should look great not like it is dying. I live...

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

View more questions Search