Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Can I plant a japanese maple right next to the house
    Are there any reasons against planting the tree right next to my house? My next to, I mean about 3 feet from the outside wall. I would try to get one of the smaller varieties, but someone said that I might need to worry about the root structure damaging the foundation. Anyone?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 08:04 AM
    There are a few different types of Japanese Maples, the one that I would not choose to be close to your home would be the Bloodgood variety cause it has a spread or canopy of 20-30 feet. But the smaller varieties roots are not considered aggressive, and they should not damage a foundation that is in good condition. Placement of your tree close to your house should be determined by the mature spread of the trees capopy, a good rule to follow is no closer than 1/2 the distance of the mature trees canopy, This allows for unobstructed growth for limbs and roots. So really look into how big your tree will get and do some quick make for ideal placement.

Wwwfreewebs.com/houseplantsbytrish
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Ok, so for the most part, if I just worry about giving the mature canopy enough room, the roots will be fine as well.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Exactly! I planted three last year in the spring and they have grown maybe 5 inches so I wouldn't considered them the fastest growers around. I think you'll be fine!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
    The tree would be too close at 3 feet. The top of the tree would not have enough room to expand. Also, the roots could cause foundation damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog eats dirt from house plant [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a house plant and our 1 year old dog won't stop eating the dirt! Any suggestions for keeping him away from it? Thanks!

Identify a purlple house plant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house plant I can't remember what it is called, any help is greatly appreciated. It has purple stem and leaves and sometimes it flowers with a small pink flower between two leaves. I think it is called ______ in a boat, not sure though. Can anyone help?:)

House plant indentity? [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find the name of a house plant I have. Each stem has 3 black and purple leaves which fold together and bend down when there is not enough light, as yet there are no flowers, but some small buds on shoots have appeared.

View more questions Search