Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyK123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Can't remember book title--fiction, about a girl who ends up as a servant.
    For the life of me, I can not place this vague, vague memory I have of a book I read years ago. I read the book in the 90s, but not sure if that's when it was written.

It is a fictional book, possibly children's fiction, or young adult. The main plot was that there was a girl, very beautiful, who somehow ended up as a servant in a very rich man's home. She was from somewhere else and could not speak their language, so she was made to be a servant, spent her days peeling potatoes, preparing food, etc. She somehow gained favor with the mistress, who turned her into her project, of sorts, made her a special friend. But the master also noticed her, and was very attracted to her. The mistress of the house became jealous and eventually she was thrown out, although she had done nothing wrong. She ended up as a seamstress or something, in the city, very poor. And that's all I remember.

Can anyone help??
    AmyK123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK123
    For the life of me, I can not place this vague, vague memory I have of a book I read years ago. I read the book in the 90s, but not sure if that's when it was written.

It is a fictional book, possibly children's fiction, or young adult. The main plot was that there was a girl, very beautiful, who somehow ended up as a servant in a very rich man's home. She was from somewhere else and could not speak their language, so she was made to be a servant, spent her days peeling potatoes, preparing food, etc. She somehow gained favor with the mistress, who turned her into her project, of sorts, made her a special friend. But the master also noticed her, and was very attracted to her. The mistress of the house became jealous and eventually she was thrown out, although she had done nothing wrong. She ended up as a seamstress or something, in the city, very poor. And that's all I remember.

Can anyone help???
    Never find, found the book--Calico Captive, by Elizabeth George Speare. Thanks anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forgotten title and author of 'undersea' science fiction book [ 3 Answers ]

I read a book some time back and can't for the life of me remember the name of the book or author. Please help? I am beginning to think I dreamed it all... It was about a geological research submarine that got sucked into an abyss and ended up in a huge cavern. The water was sucked out and the...

I can't remember the title of this book. [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am trying to remember the name of a story that was read to me when I was in elementary school. From what I remember, the story takes place in the future and the narrator is living through a war against aggressive alien invaders. Throughout the story the reader is...

Unknown book title/author - women's fiction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a book title and author of a book I recently read on holiday and lost. It was written by a woman and released in the last few years and the cover was pale yellow. It would probably be classified as chick lit but was darkly amusing. The basic plot is 3 British families who...

View more questions Search