Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imfrantic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Rewire a phone jack to the main line
    We recently had a second telephone line disconnected. It currently has no dial tone/calling capabilities. When we asked the phone company, they told us to rewire the jack, but we are not sure what to do.

The box outside has wires connected in two different spots (1 = striped orange wires that gets a dial tone at the NID and is our main number upstairs, 2 = red and green wires - no dial tone at NID, downstairs, was the second line).

The jack downstairs (the disconnected line/number) has red, green, black, yellow wires behind it (no striped wires). What do I need to do to make the downstairs jacks work on the main number? :confused:

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!:)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 06:19 AM

Remove red wire outside and connect with orange/white.
    Remove green wire outside and connect with white/orange. That's it.
    imfrantic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 02:26 AM

Thank you for your reply. Before posting, we tried both connecting the red/green to position 1 with the orange wires, and replacing the orange wires w/ red/green, but it didn't work.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 06:48 AM

If the orange pair is your line 1, and active, then connecting red and green should make them active.
    Go to inoperative phone jack and verify red and green wires are connected to red and green on jack.
    Blue pair is usually line 1, and orange pair is usually line 2. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to rewire jack to work on main line 2 NIDS outside? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My daughter's room has a phone jack in it that doesn't work. The previous owner apparently had 2 phone lines in the home. I only have one. I wanted to make the jack in her room work on our line so we can hook up her satellite receiver to it. When we removed the jack from the wall, it was...

Rewiring existing phone jack to main line [ 3 Answers ]

I have two phone lines. I want to disconnect 2nd line but need to rewire that jack to main number. The jack has green red top l to rt blk yello bottom left to right. I tried switching the yellow to blk and green to red. But it didn't work. What am I doing wrong? How should they go?

Switching the jack to main phone line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! A few years ago, I got a phone line for my daughter's room/computer. My daughter is in college and now we have cable. I cancelled the 2nd line now.:o I would like to change the jack back to the main number without calling the phone company and paying a bajillion dollars! What do I do? :o

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

View more questions Search