Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninjahmelx3 Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Nov 26, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Piercing
    Lately Ive been wanting a lip ring [yes Im only 13 too] My parents are very strict about facial piercings but I wanted to know if it's a good idea or a bad one for a 13 year old with a lip ring
    bubbler_77 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 03:23 PM
    I think at 13 your going to be way to young for any company to do the piercing for you as it may be seen as being illegal... When we are young we want and like a lot of different things to try and make ourselves stand out from the crown and at 13yrs your going to start to get your own tastes and things that you want as you start to mature and get an older head, I would say that your best not too look at getting this done until your much older and can get it done without having to lie about your age etc to get someone to do it for you !

You also have to be very careful when getting piercings as they are very prown to infections and you also need to ensure that the company that is doing it complies with health standers and that you in safe hands. Leave it a while and I'm sure you will find something else you want to do to take your mind off it.
    Lil Momma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
    Yeah I definitely think 13 is way to young.. I would wait a couple years anyway cause down the road who knows if you'll like it or not.. And being 13 and still going to school and stuff they will probably make you take it out.. and what if you want to get a job somewhere or something they won't want to hire you cause of it.. and you'll have a nasty scar trust me I have had plenty of piercings in my days and the scars I have all over my face SUCK!!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 01:54 AM
    Bad idea.
    13 is too young for a lip piercing. Im not even sure if they would do it for you, some places are also strict on these things and won't allow you to get it done, they will ask for ID.
    16 onwards is the age to do it, I believe.
    Lynnengrad Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 02:40 AM
    I have my lip pierced on both sides (snakebite),
    And I got it done when I was 13,
    But was turning 14 in about a month.

Right now I'm 15 and I think that NOTHING'S wrong with it,
    As long as you're responsible enough to take care of it,
    And know that you're going to want it for the years that come.

The shop I went to, you have to be 16 or older, or have parental permission, etc.
    So my mom went with me when I got both of my piercings.

Nov 28, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Wow, I just wanted my right side. But as I mentioned my parents HATE facial piercings which sucks because I wanted my lip pierced, when you mean take care of it what exactly do you mean?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Understand that it is possible to get a life threatening infection if it is not done under sterile conditions.

Also understand that, while it may seem cool now, when you are older it may be hard to get a good paying job.

You are WAY too young at 13 to get this done. What if you change your mind years later and the ring is gone and you are left with a hole in your lip? Or scar tissue that protrudes? How will you feel then?

How will you feel if you change your mind when you meet the man of your dreams and you might have a hole or scar tissue in your lip on your wedding day? I know it is hard to imagine now, but you have to think about when you are older too.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Do what your parents tell you. It is their job to decide what is best for you at 13 and they are right here. Once you are an adult then you can make decisions like this for yourself.

So respect your parents wishes and forget about the piercing.

Nov 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Kay thanks, I'm really going to think about forgetting it [confusing huh!]
    shadyslady313 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahmelx3
    Lately Ive been wanting a lip ring [yes Im only 13 too] My parents are very strict about facial piercings but I wanted to know if its a good idea or a bad one for a 13 year old with a lip ring
    Hey well for one I'm 17 and I like peircings a lot when I was 15c I got me belly button done and when I turned 16 I got my tongue I know that I'm still a bit older then u but a lot ofppl have different opinions on percings.. I say.. GO FOR IT!. =).. comment back

Nov 29, 2006, 05:29 PM
    [: Thanks um wow I was thinking about talking to my dad [my mom's stricter] and see what his reaction is...
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 29, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Don't do it, because your only 13.
    Firstly you will end up not liking it
    Secondly you will probably have a nasty scar when you do get bored of it
    Thirdly its illegal unless you get parental consent, which isn't looking too likely
    And lastly, you have a lot more growing up to do before you become "yourself"
    Everyone has that space of maybe 2/3 year in high school, sometimes later, when they become truly the kind of person they are and want to be, your only at the begginning stages of this and if you get it, you may look back on this as a bad idea after all
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 06:41 PM
    NEVER PLAY DAD AGAINST MOM. It will surely backfire!!

That would be a TERRIBLE mistake. If mom says no, then I will ask dad. BAD, BAD idea!!

Nov 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Haha okay okay
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
    I have a 13 year old daughter. I know how you gals work. You will get yourself in trouble. If you insist that it be done, get permission from BOTH parents, not just one.

I still stand by the thought that youmay regret it after it is too late. You are still young, why don't you wait a year and see if you still want it.
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Nov 29, 2006, 11:27 PM
    I would wait until you are older to get a piercing of this nature. I don't know if you have a fair complexion or not but it makes a horrible red whelted scar when you want to take it out.My piercer would not pierce my labrae because he said my complexion would leave a horrible scar. Additionally, he doesn't recommend facial piercings on women. All of the makeup and hair products we use can lead to major infections if not properly cared for.
    Brittanyiscool Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Nov 29, 2006, 11:41 PM
    Okay honestly. What is the "right age" to get a piercing? If your capable of taking care of yourself, and accepting the responsibility for the new hole in your body, why not? Lip piercings are NOT that big of a deal.. I have my labret, and my monroe (which is the top lip... ) Neither have ever given me a problem as far as healing. You have to make sure you have mouthwash, make sure it's the yellow kind. Also, Sea Salt and warm water. It's really not a big deal. I got my first piercing when I was 13 (my eyebrow) and I never felt like it was "too big of a responsibility" to take on. I say go for it. If your parents consent, then I'm sure they will help you in the upkeep of it. And hell, if you don't like it, just take it out, at least it's not permanent like a tattoo right?
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2007, 01:08 AM
    I just got my lip done 48 hrs ago... n no swelling (sp?) at all... and it's tiny bit sore to touch but fine to kiss my boyfriend wit no pain.
    When she did it there was no blood or swelling either still now no blood nor is there any crusty bits... it's like I've had it for ages

One of the best peircings I've had done.
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2007, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I still stand by the thought that youmay regret it after it is too late. You are still young, why don't you wait a year and see if you still want it.

If she regrets it she can just take it out... best thing about peircings they heal up :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 04:17 AM
    For those who continue to post responses to this question, you might want to consider that the original poster has not logged onto this site since December 13, 2006 at 10:26 P.M.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue Piercing [ 35 Answers ]

I just thoguth aobut tongue piercing and began imagining how mad it would be. Having a piece of metal in your mouth. I want to get one of these when I'm older, because its pretty easy to hide, and doesn't make you seem like a punk or anything (unlike eyebrow studs or anything. Can people tell me...

How do I get my piercing licence? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on becoming a professional piercer and I have no idea where or how to get my licence, I live in mckinney texas(suburb of dallas) and I don't know where to go 2 get my licence I've heard you take a class and a test over it but I need to know where. If anyone could give me any...

Self-piercing [ 18 Answers ]

Within the last year I have pierced a second hole in each of my ears 3 separate times, each time purposefully letting them heal. I have also pierced my belly button twice and let it heal as well. I make sure to sterilize everything, and I've never had any problems with infections or anything like...

Piercing license [ 2 Answers ]

I live in El Cajon, CA I just was wandering how or where do I go to get a piercings license?

Nipple piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pierced nipple and there is some debate as to whether I will be able to breastfeed. I got told many years ago that it would be fine, in fact better as I have an extra hole!:confused:

View more questions Search