Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Satira Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
    A Tat Not Completed... Do I have To Pay?
    Back in September of last year I had my first tattoo done. I got a bit over ambitious and decided to have it all done at once. It's a very intricate tat of a dragon fly inside a venus fly trap on my upper shoulder.

The reason I chose the picture is because of the expression on the insects face. The eye was very black and large, and it's mouth was a perfect "O", as if in surprise. It was the eye and mouth that made the tat so interesting, IMO, and I'd explained to the artist

After six hours of absolute agony, the tat was finished. We'd had to take breaks several times for me to catch my breath. I found it the most painful thing I've ever endured--and I've had children. Just thinking about it makes my shoulder hurt even now.

However, when I got home I realized the eye and mouth weren't black like the picture. It made the tat "wrong" and not what I wanted. But the thought of going back made my flesh crawl.

It's been five months and I think I'm mentally ready to have the eye and mouth shaded in properly. I don't think it will take very long, probably 15 minutes to finish.

My question is this: Should I pay the artist for the shading? I don't think it'll cost very much and I can certainly afford it. On the other hand, since it wasn't finished right to begin with, shouldn't he finish it for free? Should I see if he offers to finish it free of charge when I call him?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 16, 2006, 08:49 PM
    It sounds like the artist had enough of a problem just getting the tattoo finished in the first place. Perhaps at the time, neither of you could take it anymore, so you accepted it - as is.

In respect of the artist's time and talent, I would pay for the tattoo to be "fixed" the way you want it. You can always bring up the fact that you were never quite happy with the eye and mouth. If the artist does it for free, great - but I would offer and be prepared to pay.
    Satira Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Thank you for your reply, Philly!

I took your advice, called him--and I offered to pay. He refused saying it was a touch-up and that it would take him longer to set up than do the work. The appointment is tomorrow and I'm mentally gearing up for it.
    :-D
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
    That's awesome! :)
    CanadianBrunette Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    It sounds like the artist had enough of a problem just getting the tattoo finished in the first place. Perhaps at the time, neither of you could take it anymore, so you accepted it - as is.

In respect of the artist's time and talent, I would pay for the tatoo to be "fixed" the way you want it. You can always bring up the fact that you were never quite happy with the eye and mouth. If the artist does it for free, great - but I would offer and be prepared to pay.
    Good answer. Artists work hard to complete their work, regardless of the media they are using or the surface they are working on. I would assume that some people's skin don't hold ink the same way others may, so perhaps that is why your tattoo didn't come out quite the way out like it. In this case, it was good to offer to pay as you are not only paying for the ink, you are paying for the artist's time. In the end, your tattoo artist recognized that it wasn't to your satisfaction and in order to keep you happy, and possibly have a repeat customer or referrals from you for future ones, he agreed to complete the work at no charge. This is excellent customer service!:D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Sounds like an interesting one, not my taste but I don't judge, normally

Well the tatto was not done as asked for, so do you have a case to ask for them to finish, most likely.

You did accept it and say it was OK, you most likely was a customer from hell ( sorry) and he most likley earned every penny you paid him.
    ( I hope you also tipped him for a great job if you were thought he did a great job)

But my opinon, not from a legal one, but a moral one, I would pay him something to finish it, even if he offered to do it free I would tip him for his time to finish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search