Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2007, 09:00 PM
    The perfect job?
    I'm in high school and thinking of being a forensic scientist. It looks interesting and if its anything like CSI that would be cool. Is it really a dream job?
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Yes, if you like looking through a microscope all day. The show CSI is exactly that, a SHOW. It is not what you see on TV. Most don't even go out in "the field" to examinate... mostly done in a lab. My father in law is a cop and he says its nothing but a scientist hired by the police to do the lab work.

So basically if you want to do what's on the CSI show, become an actor.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
    I don't know that I would call it the perfect or dream job. That all depends on how you think and feel. However, below is some information that might help you in making your determination at this point in exploring the possibility of becoming one.

From the following site: Become a Forensic Scientist

Become a Forensic Scientist

Using science to help identify criminals and analyze evidence against them, forensic scientists are detectives with microscopes. From matching shell casings to a gun to using hair samples to identify a suspect, forensic scientists help determine the facts of a legal case. Forensic evidence is often center stage during criminal trials with scientists as expert witnesses.

Forensic science technicians perform scientific tests on evidence collected in connected with a crime to determine their significance to the criminal investigation. The evidence they analyze may include blood, saliva, semen, drugs and fingerprints. Most forensic scientists specialize in a single area, such as DNA analysis or firearm examination. Forensic scientists also prepare reports documenting their findings and the laboratory techniques used.

Forensics: Specialty Areas

Forensic scientists prepare reports documenting their findings and the laboratory techniques used. When criminal cases come to trial, forensic science technicians often testify as expert witnesses, on specific laboratory findings by identifying and classifying substances, materials, and other evidence collected at the crime scene.

• Forensic Engineering: Crash, accident, or structural failure analysis
    • Forensic Entomology: Problems relating to time of death, body decay and the population of insect larvae
    • Criminalistics: Analyzing, comparing, identifying and interpreting physical evidence
    • Crime Scene Investigation: Collecting and managing evidence
    • Polygraph Examination: Conducting and interpreting polygraph tests
    • Document Examination: Problems relating to dating and source of paper and ink documents
    Forensics: Workplaces

Forensic scientists generally work for state, federal or private crime laboratories. They may also work for:

• Medical examiner/coroner offices
    • Hospitals
    • Universities
    • Toxicology laboratories
    • Police departments
    • Independent forensic science consultants
    Forensics: Education & Training

Bachelor's Level

A bachelor's degree in one of the biological or physical sciences is strongly recommended. Most programs offer subspecialty areas of forensic study such as criminalistics, pathology, or toxicology.
    Associate's Level

An associate's degree in criminal justice, forensic science, or one of the biological or physical sciences may be a good starting point for entry-level forensic techs.
    Graduate Level

Many forensic scientists have master's or doctorate degrees in their area of specialty e.g.: forensic pathologist (MD), forensic anthropologist (PhD), forensic dentist (DDS).
    Volunteer Experience

To gain the experience that employers look for, you may want to volunteer in a crime or toxicology laboratory or at a medical examiner's facility.

Forensics: Licensing & Certification

While there are no mandatory licensing requirements, most forensic scientists receive certification from one or more of the forensic specialty boards such as:

• The American Board of Criminalistics
    • The American Board of Forensic Entomology
    • The American Board of Forensic Document Examiners
    • The American Board of Forensic Toxicology
    • The National Registry in Clinical Chemistry (certifies forensic toxicologists)
    • The American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) which confers the title Registered Medicolegal Death Investigator
    Forensics: Salary

• Experienced forensic scientists may earn $40,000 to $85,000.
    • Lab directors with advanced degrees may earn more than $100,000.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
    I don't want to discourage you at all if you are interested, but just want to point out that the show may attract a lot of people into the field with the wrong perception of what it is truly like. That could cause a glut of job applicants.

If you are interested, you might be able to make arrangements with your local police department to talk to someone in their lab. At the least, they could direct you to the lab they use. Depending on the size of the area, many smaller departments contract with larger departments for the services.

Consider you own tendencies of how you might deal with various types of cases they might handle. A lot might be bullistics or chemical identification, but then there might be times when cases come up that are very emotional to deal with. Each person might handle that differently as far as how it affects their mental state. It also would potentially make a difference where you are in life, as to how you identify with each situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The perfect dog [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, me and my family are looking for a non-shedding(hypoallergenic if possible), Smart, Easy to train,under $400, althletic , and 20-40 pound dog to join our family, I am hoping for some suggestions, also I am canadian so please make sure I can get one here, Thanks, hope you can help

Picture perfect [ 2 Answers ]

In the movie the picture perfect jennifer aniston heads to boston to try and win back nick played by jay mohr in this scene they are at a wedding and he asks her if she likes the bunny hop. They start to hug and there is a song playing in the background (instrumental)does anyone know the name of...

The perfect... [ 19 Answers ]

Handjob. Seriously, need advice on techniques, because it is harder than it looks! Any tips to make him crazy?

It was perfect until... [ 12 Answers ]

The other night I went out with my boyfriend, his little brother and his mum. We all went to a family get together, my boyfriend drunk a lot and was fairly drunk by the end of the night. We all went back to his mums, where I looked after him, cleaned up his sick, comforted him, hugged him, bathed...

View more questions Search