Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2Confused Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Support Issues
    Hello.

I live in Indiana, but my husband has a 17 year old daughter from another marriage whom lives in Michigan.
    We have found out that she hasn't been living with her mother for approx. 3 months and has quit school.
    They have continued to lie to him because of the support issues. The money is not the main concern and he wants to do his duty to support his child, but the child is not in the home.
    Trying to make contact and showing concern to get her home has turned into one big fight over the support.
    Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do?
    We would much rather have her home and supervised, but I really don't think her mother will inforce this. If she doesn't inforce this, does my husband continue paying support to his x-wife even if the child is not there?
    Any advise is much appreciated!
    Thank you!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Hello 2:

Your husband was order to pay child support to the mother. What the mother does with the money has nothing to do with the court order.

The only reason your concern would turn into a fight over child support is if you threatened to stop paying. Don't do that.

IF you have a problem with the order, go back to court to have it amended. The court will not look kindly at you taking it upon yourself to modifiy its order.

excon
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Jun 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Continue paying support while keeping records of everything. You can attempt to get the order for support changed to whomever the child is living with or looking into the child being emancipated. Maybe talk to an attorney who could give a free consultation. Ultimately support cannot be changed by anyone but a judge. Cathy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
    You will have to file with the court to have the custody order amended, if the mother is not properly caring for the child, then you can ask for custody. ( which would be a real treat if the 17 year old did not want to come) If she is living with a aunt, or other relation, you will have to try and have custody issues changes, which can effect the support.
    But no, you have to pay the support as long as the court order is in place.
    I had my boys living with me for two years, it took me almost 7 months to get child support waived, I had to pay support for 7 months that the kids were living with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support Issues [ 4 Answers ]

My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000,...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

Two issues [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I decided not to post... don't know how to delete threads! :)

IE issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I'm new here, so I need a little help. Last Sunday, Internet Explorer stopped working (I have Win XP, as well as high-speed cable Internet BTW). So two days later, I called the cable company, and they told me to run a node test. It came out clean. Then they told me about a program called ...

View more questions Search