Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    juliachaney's Avatar
    juliachaney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 15, 2017, 06:19 PM
    I wasn't properly served a default levy judgement
    Can they get a default judgement levy without trying to serve me and 3 mo later mail me a copy dated jan 11 th ,rec 4/13 called 4/1 made 50 payment and dropped off another 50 in drop box since they won't return my calls, they didn't even try to serve me a my old hb add my friends dads always there not once did anybody come to serve me , no letters nothing then reg mail to new add 3 mo later for a 600 balance left on a 2500 org due 50 mo 6 yrs I paid
    What can I do to protect my car worth 3650. That all I own besides debt
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,300, Reputation: 7691

    Jun 15, 2017, 07:12 PM
    Making payments does not stop a judgement, (it can be used as a defense if you had went to a hearing, if you are paying more than the late fees and interest are adding up to)

    You can file in court to have the judgement over turned, but the judgement is valid, until you take them to court and have a judge over turn it.

    So you will need to get an attorney and file to have it over turned on reason of invalid service. (although they can just serve you properly then and get another hearing. It will not stop a judgement merely delay action.

    Also you only think there was not proper service. I do legal service every day, I tape a notice to the peoples door. (I take photo of street sign, house number and notice taped to door) That is all I need to do for the service I do here in Illinois. If that is the last known, or a address that they have on file, normally that is all that is needed.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jun 16, 2017, 05:45 AM
    They can get a default judgement. But you can fight it if you can prove non-service. However, that is only a delaying tactic. As you will be properly served before you leave the courthouse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did not get served properly with summons and now they are seeking clerical judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I was not servered properly with a summons or complaint against be from a credit card company that I owed a debt to. I did not know until I got a letter saying that I was served with a summons and complaint, then a judgement was sent to my address. I don't have a lot of money to hire a lawyer,...

Judgement Issued, Not Properly Served, What Can I Do Now? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California. I received a summons in a hand written envelope with no return address. The summons was dated April 3, and the envelope was post marked June 12th. The summons stated that I had 30 calendar days to reply to it. Since 30 calendar days had already gone by, and the summons was...

Creditor got default judgement - levy on acct [ 12 Answers ]

From an account that was from 09/2001 I JUST found out I got a levy on my checking account. I do not know of any certified letter received. I dug through some mail and found a letter that was sent through regular mail but had the wrong address (State Highway 903 instead of 303) Therefore I do...

View more questions Search