Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justjackinknox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 03:22 PM
    SSDI and Bank Levy, Garnishment, etc
    I have read all about the Social Security being "untouchable" by levy or garnishment. I have heard that when the money comes from Social Security and hits your bank account it is "fair game" It is considered income.
    My questions are many and I am really worried that the CC co. will take action.
    Just for my satisfaction can someone PLEASE advise me as to what to do!
    Last week on 4-17-07 a letter came from a Bankruptcy Attorny it said I was being sued and the results could be a judgement and or garnishment. That is how I found out I was going to be sued. The very next day a man came driving up my driveway and I seen the BIG stack of subpeonas and knew one had my name on it. I totally freaked and told him I did not know where I was. He replied "oh, OK they gave me this address and I am sorry to have bothered you, I will just turn it in" I am very ill and sick and blind in one eye and can hardly walk. I have read all kinds of things on this board and I am thinking I should go and find where the subp. Is and show up in court to tell the judge I am ill and can barely survive on the 764.00 I get from SSDI each month. I am sorry to repeat a question about SSDI but the bank said I would have to tell the lawyer all my income was from SS and then he couldn't get it. My question is this. What will happen if I just forget about it and don't go to court? I am so stressed this is mmaking my condition worse. I really thank all who post in here. I would be in a nut house by now if I had not found you guys!:eek:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 03:48 AM
    Read this post and file with the court Notice of Exemption

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ent-59091.html
    tusnail Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 08:54 AM

OK I had the same problem. I was being sued by a yellow page ad my son used my name to place the ad without my knowledge. I went to court and showed my bank statement and it only has social security insurance in it. He said well we can't touch this. I did not trust him so I inrolled in a Direct Express card. You can go online and fill out all the fields and get your ss on a debit master card. The money is deposited on it from the US Treasury every month. They the bill collectors can't touch it. Because it's from the social security . In the bank with direct deposit you can still have your money garnished and frozen account. Unitl you prove the money is from the government. You must not ignore the court.. You must go or you will be in trouble.
    berdodude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 08:05 PM

You must not ignore. You must go or you will be in trouble.The bank can and must comply with holding the funds in an account. Generally, you can show your income is only SSDI the court will not issure a levy. If you ignore it, their only option is to levy your accouts. Then banks have to compy with the Levy.. You are money less for some time... while you prove where the funds came from SSDI. It is better to deal with it, offer a small payment, even just 3-4 dollars a month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment Update & Here we go again, bank levy this time [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all. First thanks for your help and advice on my last post, things just seem to look good, then wham, the bottom falls out. Our 1st court date was postponed as Peoples Bank could not produce documents for the judge showing we owed or had the account. That's because there are none as we've...

Levy/Garnishment in Missouri [ 1 Answers ]

We received a notification of Levy/Garnishment in the State of Missouri just this week. Today, I discovered that my checking account has already been hit with the garnishment, putting us in a terrible financial burden. I had been making payments on the amount we owed, and I also called to see...

SSDI Child Support Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I received 970 a month from ssdi and my child support order is for 940.00 a month how much of my ssdi can be garnished for this in Calif. Thank You Robin

Texas Garnishment levy fdes [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently out of the country and when I chked my online bank account (BOA), it is showing me a huge charge as 'TEXAS GARNISHMENT LEVY FDES'. The bank is saying they have mailed details to my home address. But since I'm not returning to USA for few months, is it possilbe for me to get the...

Bank levy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Last week I deceided to clear up my credit report so I pulled it and began paying off. One of debts was a judgemnt for 700. And soome change but we settled it and I paid . No yesterday I go to my savings acct and that same company I paid took out 1680.00 out of my acct. Now mind you when I...

View more questions Search