Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottieMac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
    Ex claims debt
    Hello,
    My ex says I have a debt with her Mother and Stepfather from 8-9 years ago that I now have to pay (once we got divorced, of course). He claims that he lent us (ex and I) money to purchase our house in 2004. I have no recollection of this. There are no documents to support, no signed agreements, nothing. He is threatening to take me to small claims court to retrieve $2500 and claims my ex "already paid her half" of $5000. What are the odds of him succeeding? He has sent emails and I have not replied, at all. Nothing has been said. At all. What can I do to protect myself? I live in British Columbia. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2012, 07:57 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

It is not clear who is threatening you. You start by saying your "ex says you have a debt". But if that's the case, he can't take you to court, his parents have to. Then you say "he" is threatening you, is that the stepfather?

In any case, if there is no proof of the debt he can't win. But if your ex paid her share she can attest to the debt. On the other hand, her testimony may not be enough if there is no corrobative proof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fantasy football debt not being paid. Can I take to small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Fantasy football debt of $275.00 not being paid. Can I take to small claims court? Would this be considered a gambling debt and the courts won't accept my case?

Can they take my ssi/ssdi away from me to play small claims debt in Massachusetts [ 3 Answers ]

I have lost a small claims case in mass court system. Does anyone know the exact law that says I don't have to pay it back because I am to poor. I heard that there is a law for this but I can't find it in the statues. Please help me.

How to file a motion to dismiss for time barred debt in small claims Texas [ 8 Answers ]

Cause of action date of March 15 1999 when last payment was to be made per plantiff's exhibit in complaint. Statutes of limitation is 4 years. I did submit answer with general denial and affirmative defense of statute already but still set for negotiation. Want to submit motion to dismiss...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

View more questions Search