Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mosmama Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
    10 year SOL on Judgment
    I have a judgment from 1994. The creditor put a lien on my house and proceeded to add 10% judgment interest. On a debt with less than $1000 still owed, they demanded $10,500 to release the lien. I have since found out that a judgment has a life span of 10 years in California, and if not renewed, is no longer valid. I offered to pay the balance minus the 10% interest that had accumulated on the judgment, but they refused. Am I right in thinking the 10% judgment interest is not valid since the judgment expired?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
    A judgement will expire in 10 years but is easy to renew if they believe they can collect.

Next of course a lien does not expire, so the lien will stay until paid or until court action is done to remove it.
    mosmama Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
    They did not renew the judgment. I personally went to the court and had the file pulled and the clerk confirmed there was no renewal. So how much can they collect? That is my main question. I don't believe they are entitled to the judgment interest of 10%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the SOL [ 9 Answers ]

First of all I live in Ontario Canada I have numerous debts and from reading this area I have seen 6 year SOL and 2 year S0L as of jan 04 what is it? Also (two parter here) to my understanding someone can make a statement of claim against you up to 6 years (or 2 years depending on the first part...

15 year old (?) judgment [ 7 Answers ]

17 1/2 years ago I had a son. I moved a few months later. My insurance company did NOT pay for my medical bills (they said it was a pre-existing condition) although they paid for my son's. Several years later, I found out that a judgment against me had be granted for the unpaid medical bill...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Sol [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I need help. I live in Tennessee and need to know when the SOL begins exactly. Thank you, Debby

Sol [ 5 Answers ]

What is the sol on debt in Oklahoma?

View more questions Search