Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fwiebe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Student loan Garnishement? Can a 10 year old loan still be a garishment?
    I have a student loan that is over 10 years old. I graduated in March 2000. Can the collection agency still take me to court to garnish my wages? Or put a lean on my home? Is there no time constraint on them?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2011, 03:09 PM
    Loans never expire and government student loans are exempt from most SOL laws and can't be excused in bankruptcy.
    MarineCorpsVet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Student loans that have defaulted can greatly hurt you in the long run. When trying to get a home loan the student loan must be either paid off or corrected to a paying as agreed status otherwise you will not be able to get a FHA loan. ScottGem is correct in that student loans are not subject to exemption from any SOL and they cannot be excused from bankruptcy. So your best bet is to contanct the Student loan source and work out a payment schedule to get you back on track.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
    And many student loans are not subject to a judgement to do a garnishment of wages. This is one of the most serious debts you have, and you need to address it.
    fwiebe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 05:02 AM
    I should maybe specify that this is a Canadian Student loan, (I noticed your locations are US), does that change the answer?

I should specify I live in Ontario and this is a Canadian student loan. Does this still apply?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 year old student loan still chasing me [ 2 Answers ]

IN 1979 I took out a "Direct Loan" for truck driving school. The school closed without giving notice and I was left with a $5,000 loan. I was neglectful in paying it, and many times could not because of lack of work. Now 30 years later, after I have declared bankruptcy, this loan is still active...

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA? [ 1 Answers ]

To,Atlanta Tax Expert Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.....

Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where...

17 year old private student loan [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a STUDENT LOAN NOTE in 1991 when I was 17 with the AMERICAN LEGION SCHOLARSHIP FUND which my parents co-signed. It was to be interest free until graduation, anticipated 1994, then interest will be charged with late payments each month no payment is made. In the note it states that it is...

22 year old student loan [ 8 Answers ]

that i didn't even remember taking out (apparently it was for $400) Got a call a few months ago about a loan (which i paid off in 2004 and assumed this was the one they were speaking of) and was told if i paid it off to disregard the phone call...which i did...I receive ssd because i have lupus. ...

View more questions Search