Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    everett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Default judgment
    I have lived in MA since 8/1998, previously having lived in NY. I just (10/2006) received notification of wage garnishment order (income execution) based on a default judgment for an old debt ($2611). The 'entry date' for the default judgment was July 2003, but this was the first I'd heard about it. Obviously I never showed up in court in NY in July 2003, since I never knew about it - and I would have at least shown up with an SOL argument. Is there anything that I can do about the judgment now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2006, 03:32 AM
    File Motion to Quash the garnishment in your court. They would have to had transfer the judgment to your state for the wage attachment.

I would file motion challanging the jurisdiction of the NY for the judgment. If you never recevied notice or did not attneding the court hearing, if may be possible to void the judgment for lack of jurisdiction.

You may want to look into that under your state rules.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Or you could just pay the debt in full. You seem to acknowledge it is your debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have judgment... Now how do I get the money? [ 11 Answers ]

I won 2 judgments in small claims court against the same person; each for around $11,000. Now how do I get the money? I put a lien on the deadbeat's property but that is all I know to do. I don't have his social security number, nor do I know where he works. Obviously, he's switched his phone,...

Vacating a judgment [ 6 Answers ]

I received a subpoena in the mail from an attorney concerning a judgment entered against me on 4/13/92. It’s in the amount of $4,642.12 plus cost and interest leaving a total now of $7,253.30. I don’t remember how or if I got served in ’92. I moved from place to place back then and don’t remember...

AT&T Judgment - NY [ 5 Answers ]

I just received a letter in the mail that I owe AT&T $5,300.00 which was five years previous. Now I had relocated out of the State of New York for the past eight months and just returned. How much time would I have to dispute this judgment? Can they freeze my bank account or garnish my wages for...

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

View more questions Search