Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiviki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 07:36 PM
    24 unemployed college grad, bankruptcy an option?
    Background:
    Hello everyone!
    I found the site through a Google search. I'm considering filing bankruptcy because I really can't see a way out of my situation. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I'm 24 years old, and I just graduated from college with a Bachelor's degree in April. My last semester in school (Jan.-Apr.) I was unemployed and lived off my credit cards.
    I have three cards: Capital One, Chase, & 1st Financial Bank.
    Finishing up my degree I did not have time to work - I realize now that living off my cards wasn't the wisest decision but hindsight is 20/20. After graduation, I was unable to find a job. I had to move out of my apartment because I couldn't afford rent and move back with my parents.
    My parents are also financially stressed and are unable to help me out above room & board.
    I have not made a payment on my credit cards since April, as I've been unable to afford to.

My total debt is around 9,500. My minimum payments are more than I can afford. I have creditors calling non stop.

I do not know what to do. I just got a letter from a Collection agency saying they are in charge of my Capital One debt and will take me to court in 30 days.

I'm thinking of filing for bankruptcy. Anyone have any other thoughts?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Hi, kiviki!

In my opinion, considering filing for bankruptcy should be the last thing that as person should consider. I wouldn't do that until all else has failed.

Have you called the credit card companies to speak with them personally about your situation? Also, what was your major in college, please?

Thanks!
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Aug 25, 2009, 09:31 AM

I know you are stressing now, but please avoid bankruptcy if all possible, It will ruin your credit for years and when you do get a good job and need to get a car
    That bk will show on your credit report like a sore! And then your interest rates will be high
    Try working out a payment plan. Maybe you can find a small job even part time to start paying off these debts I know $9500 is a lot but I know of people who have cc debt more than that and worked out payment plans and took even the littlest job to start paying them off. Its hard but it can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost job and medical problems mounting is bankruptcy my only option [ 5 Answers ]

I lost my job and because of current and new medical problems can not find another job. I just got a call Friday saying if I was not there in thirty minutes they were filing a warrant. Before any more of my debts get to this I was hoping to find out what my options were and if bankruptcy was my...

I have no idea what monetary gift is norm for me to give to my niece for college grad [ 2 Answers ]

I am close to my niece, and I have no idea what is considered"average" for a college graduation monetary gift

College grad misdemeanor record [ 5 Answers ]

I recently found out I have a misdemeanor criminal record. I was caught on video shoplifting when I was 16, and plead guilty, under the impression it would be on a juvenile record and wouldn't show up. However I have discovered NY is one of 3 states where offenses committed @ 16 or older go on...

Recent college grad with criminal history [ 6 Answers ]

I recently graduated from college with a degree in Public Relations. I got good grades and have also consistently held a job since I was fifteen. The problem is that I partied pretty hard through my first two years of college and established significant police record during this time including;...

View more questions Search