Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryhc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Social Security disability payments and garnishments
    Are social security disabiltiy payments subject to garnishments for back spousal support or child support? I know that social security benefits are subject to garnishment but was wondering about disability pymts?

Thanks
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I am not an expert on this but from my understanding (state of Indiana) they can not garnish disability payments. But if you own any property they can put a lien on it and if you ever sell it or die they will get their money. But if the money owed is to the government like back taxes etc they can probably take any freakin money you have. But as for child support, I doubt very seriously that they can take your disability money.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
    [QUOTE=maryhc]Are social security disability payments subject to garnishments for back spousal support or child support? I know that social security benefits are subject to garnishment but was wondering about disability pymts?

Yes, SS payments of any sort (including disability) can be garnisheed for back child support - it's Federal Law. But: "Yes it can. But, if you have dependent children they may be entitled to a child's benefit based on your benefit. You should have given them the names, social security number, ages and address of all children when you applied. If you did not, you can add it later, it just delays their receipt of the benefits."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Garnishments in Ohio of private disability payments [ 8 Answers ]

I believe I have a winnable case against an EX. My question is can I garnish her private disability payments. She was working for a company when she was diagnosed with Lupis and went on full disability. The company she was working for had private disability insurance, my understanding this isn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search