Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corawood Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance?
    Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report as dated Jan. 2008. This is the first we seen a letter from these people claiming it's a capital one account from 2003, marked as deliquent in 2004. I was going to send letter to them to validate debt, will that help and can theydo this? On the credit report under capital one it says o balance.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Send them a letter denying the debt and asking for verification of it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 05:05 PM
    What does it say on the suit that Capital One filed against you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Charged off, is merely an accounting term, meaning they charged it off their taxes taking a tax credit on it as a business loss.
    This does not stop them from still trying to collect the money, So they can still sue you for the actual moneys owed plus interst plus charges.

They can also sell it to another company who can sue you for it.
    Normally these companies that buy will threaten to sue but want you to settle with them, since moswt likely they bought the debt for 10 cents on the dollar at most.

Now my question is, has the statue of limitation ran out, I would check your states law on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Debt New Collector [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting my first mortgage, After a long haul of building my credit, I have ran my credit often and knew that an old phone bill debt was due to come off my credit in 2006, Which it did. It had not appeared at all past three checks, I got a letter in the mail recently that...

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Got Letter from Debt Collector [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have got a letter from FCRA debt collector agency for 9939 Dollars for apartment lease break. In 2001, I had to leave United States due to loss of job. At that time, my friend requested me to allow him in my apartment. Since I had to leave quickly I allowed him to stay in the apartment ....

Nasty debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a large CIBC Visa bill, in which they have cancelled me collections and I sent CIBC 6 post dated cheques for $250.00@ for the 15th of each month. I am unemployeed and have other debts as well. I received Unemployment insurance and when I explained this to the collection agency they advised...

View more questions Search