Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wontoncookie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I have personal debt, can the courts garnish wages from my cooperation legally ?
    I have a unpaid credit card that was personal . The credit card company decided to garish both my cooperate account and my personal account. Is this legal or do they not have the right to touch the accounts since it is another entity ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Hello Wonton:

No. Go to the bank and ask them to show you the garnishment order for your corporate account. If they don't have one, they'll have to put the money back. If they do, you'll have to go back to the court that issued it.

The credit card company certainly could have sued the corporation and gotten a default judgment if you didn't defend yourself - or more appropriately - if your corporation didn't defend itself. If that's the case, and your corporation was properly served, you may be out of gas. It's always wise to defend yourself in court. That would have been the proper place to bring up your argument. It's probably too late now.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
    In the subject line you mentioned "wages", but in the body you refer to accounts. If you are getting wages, then yes they are subject to garnishment. However, if you have a bank accounts that are in the name of a registered corporation they are not subject to attachment for personal debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who can legally garnish your wages? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to know who has the right to legally garnish your wages? If you purchase a vehicle and have to turn it in due to not being able to pay for it can they garnish your wages? Also if you were in the National Guard and you received pay after you were deployed but were sent back due to...

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages? [ 3 Answers ]

I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay...

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search