Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yramtac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Summons for credit card debt I've been fighting
    In 2005, I moved twice in a short span of time due to some non-financial personal issues. Somehow, in all the chaos, I lost track of a Sears credit card ($3300 balance) that I was paying off via ACH. When I closed my bank account, I completely forgot to transfer the payment to my new bank account, so the bill went unpaid for several months.

When I realized that I hadn’t been paying the bill, I took the initiative to write Sears a letter, providing my new contact info, a check to cover my missed payments, and a sincere apology. I promptly received a new statement from Sears, saying that I owed them over $1000 that was due immediately. I called to tell them that I couldn’t pay the full amount, but that I would gladly resume monthly payments to get back on track. The CSR took the info, and in a few days, I got a letter saying that the account had been sent to collections.

I spoke with the collections agent, and I asked him to send me a full written account of what I owed, so that I could determine a repayment schedule. He agreed, but never sent anything. I sent a letter, asking for the same, and I never received a response. Instead I received a notice that my account had been sold to another collection agency.

I experienced a repeat with the next collection agency, and by the time a 4th collection agency started to pester me, I got fed up and called a lawyer. The lawyer advised me to try to settle the original debt with Sears. I sent a letter and received no response, and at that point I got fed up and quit trying to do the right thing.

2 ½ years later, one of the collections agencies just served me with a summons to appear in court in less than 2 weeks. I live in a fairly small town in Illinois, but my summons is to appear in my local court.

Questions: Is this a bluff? Will they proceed with a lawsuit for less than $4000 (the new amount that they’re asking for is $39xx, which includes interest and late fees).

AND, do I have any recourse? I have maintained a paper trail of all of my attempts to settle this debt. Have I been wronged, or should I just call the agency that is suing me and agree to pay the debt?

We're aggressively paying down my husband's student loans, so I can’t pay the amount in full, but I’m sure that I could get the debt paid off in a year.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2008, 01:52 PM
    No bluff. You need to file an Intent to defend with the court. Send a copy of your answer to the summons to the plaintiff requesting verification of the debt and their right to collect it. Show up for the hearing with documentation of your attmets to pay/settle this account.
    Yramtac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Thanks, Scott. Do you think I would be better off to just settle and start making payments? Or might I have a legitimate gripe about the way this has been handled.

I really appreciate your quick response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for credit card debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons for a credit card debt for a credit card my wife took out in my name a few years ago it for 3000 and some odd dollars she never made a payment on it when she tried to about ayear ago they refused it.I am on social security and we have had financial problems for years we filed...

Summons for credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am so desperate and so worried that I find myself seeking the help of strangers. On Friday I received a hand delivered summons to appear in court regarding a credit card debt. I have opened credit cards in the past, but I do not remember this particular bank. I also wonder if I did owe,...

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

View more questions Search