Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captainzero Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 07:44 AM
    4 year old credit card debt and never served
    Five years ago, I moved from California to Europe. Divorce and other circumstances made me unable make any payments on my credit cards for a bit over 4 years now. That's past the 4-year Statute of Limitations in California. I left a friends address for receiving mail, and he told me I've been receiving letters from 3rd party collectors. I don't know if I have been sued, but at least I was never served. What should I do? Contact collectors? Forget them? Get a Lawyer?
    Could this be a problem when I visit the U.S.
    How can I find out if I am being sued?
    I appreciate any educated advice you may give me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 08:22 AM
    I may be shot down for this but if I were you I would let sleeping dogs lie. Once you contact them, the whole process starts all over again.

But I have to say this. I find credit card companies extremely easy to deal with once they find that you are sincere and willing to talk. There is such a thing as debt consolidation and a credit card company will be lenient with the interest rate to make it easy for ANYONE. I find it odd that most people don't even want to recognize this about them, and just skip out without paying. Why the heck would anyone want this crap going on in their lives, the constant worry, the constang harangue. I just don't get it.

Through no fault of my own, it was actually my husband's bankruptcy, that got me involved with collection agencies. It got so they absolutely would not talk to me, became extremely angry at my demands for proof. When they started threatening to take my car, my house, my dog, my cat, my couch, that's when I started being the harrasser instead of the harrassee and boy did they think they were good at putting the fear of god in me... nope. When they claimed they would take me to court, I said bring it on, just bring the proof with you, tell me where and when. It never happened. One got tired of calling me, so they sold it to someone else and all the way down the line. They all got the same treatment from me.

So, if anyone wants an advocate, a pep talk regarding collection agencies, let me know. Cause I absolutely HATE THEM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a judgement for credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was served a judgement this morning for credit card debt for about 4500$. There is no option for a court date to dispute this. I haven't spoken to these people before nor have I received any written letters. I do not believe the debt is mine. Here is my hangup though, I have 30...

Served for Credit Card Debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was served last week from a law firm for an old debt of about $1700. It says if I do not reply within 20 days I will be sent a date to show up in court. What exactly is it that I need to do within this time frame? If I plan to attend my hearing do I just not reply and show up? I dont have an...

Served a complaint for a old credit card [ 35 Answers ]

I was wondering how I answer a complaint served to me by a law office for an old credit card debt. I know I have 30 days to answer, I believe I have to answer my complaint to the clerk and the law office who had the complaint served. I am in a town just outside Atlanta GA. What exactly do I put in...

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

Lawyer after me for 12 year old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

The old story of when I was younger and foolish with my credit card story applies here! I ran a $1000 debt up with a large retail company(eatons) about 12years ago.The company has since then went bankrupt here in Canada in the late 90's. About 7 years ago I cleaned up my bad credit by...

View more questions Search