Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jrb252000's Avatar
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28

    Jul 30, 2007, 09:25 AM
    New laws?
    I was looking for a website for bankruptcy laws... I currently live in TN my husband and I have no credit card debt. We both had our ID stolen when we went to Korea and Iraq (we are currently trying to prove who did it) and needless to say both our credit histories are destroyed. We have tried to dispute our credit reports but the few responses I got back from the creditors are they need to see proof of a police report. Some of these debts are a few years old already and we are just hearing about them. We also asked them to show us proof of these accounts with no replies. Would it be better to just declare bankruptcy and start fresh. We don't want to lose our house or vechiles but we want to get this matter overwith. It is so bad I can't even get a private student loan. Thanks for any advice and/or tips.
    Superfed's Avatar
    Superfed Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

    Aug 4, 2007, 02:47 AM
    I am no expert but I would ask the credit card company to send you the transactions made with the fraudulent signatures. Do all your communications by registered mail for your records. I am assuming that you don't have a police report? You need the fraudulent signatures... However, fraudulent signatures alone may not be enough without a police report.

    No, do not file bankruptcy. If you get a notice that you are being sued, file and answer to
    Their complaint and go to court and tell your side of the story to the judge.

    Talk to a lawyer
    mr.yet's Avatar
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

    Aug 4, 2007, 03:57 AM
    File a ID theft alert with the FTC, the police dept in your state, and send copies to each credit bureau, and remind them they can to held accountable for any and all inaccurate information on that report.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
    There is no need to, have you not filed a police report, just get a copy ofit, and send it to all of these debtors, Then you can contest these debts with the credit reporting agencies.

    If you file bankruptcy you are claiming these are your valid debts.
    Superfed's Avatar
    Superfed Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

    Aug 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
    How long ago did the theft take place? Sounds like it happened a while ago. If it was a few years ago, I think its too late to file a police report.
    jrb252000's Avatar
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28

    Aug 4, 2007, 03:52 PM
    It happened once in 2000 and 2003. We even sent proof to creditors that we were out of the country. I understand with internet and such it doesn't prove much. We did not become aware of these debts till we got our house. It is our fault for not checking or credit but we had no idea.
    One of the debt collectors was for magazines. They told me a list of magazines we "ordered" and my husband and I don't even read them. They said they had a few payments from us. I said okay can you send me proof of that. They said they could not release the information. Anyhow sorry to ramble on I'm just frustrated with all this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to know custody laws. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm pregnant and the father of the child left me and I need to know what the laws there are on custody and child support. Any help would be fantastic. I really need to get educated on this, because I'm afraid he will try to take my baby away from me.

Need to know evection laws in S.C. [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know the laws in South Carolina about evection. How many days do I have after being served with evection papers do I have BY S.C. LAW, do I have until I have to leave my home?

The craziest in-laws EVER! [ 12 Answers ]

My mother-n-law is the craziest person I have ever met. She's on that meth and stays so shot out, I 've never seen the beat in my life. She bleaches her colored chothes until they are different colors, I thought I could trust her to wash mine, she's old she should know what she's doing. ...

Ex in laws [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 3 years. I have 4 children. Here's the dealio. My ex has only seen our children once in the past 3 years. Due to his drug addiction, he separated himself from the children and his family (parents siblings, etc.). His parents during this time have spoke to him on occasion....

View more questions Search