Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    macmamma's Avatar
    macmamma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 16, 2006, 01:34 AM
    Kicking an old lady when she's down.
    I've had the misfortune of being disabled with a back problem in 2001-ish. Received Social Security Disability finally in 2003. During all this I struggled to keep my desk at the Realtors office but had to stop. I went from making a good living to nothing! Needless to say.. I stopped paying my credit cards. I could not even afford to file bankruptcy! I was a single mom with twins to feed. I think all other creditors have written me off except one. They have now set a court date in my county, they are really going to sue me. I make $650. US a month on SSDI and $121. On SSI! What are they going to do to me? This has me very upset and scared. Please answer me. I think I have to go in Oct. 30th. Mom
    Thomas1970's Avatar
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131
    Senior Member

    Oct 16, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Hi Macmamma,
    I'm sorry to hear about your back troubles. It would probably be a good idea to talk with someone at your local legal aid office. Free legal help is available, and being on SSI and SSDI, you do qualify for it. But beyond that, though I'm not a lawyer, to the best of my knowledge I believe there is no legal way for them to force you to pay as long as your only income is from SS. I don't believe they can legally garnish these payments, though the creditors may still attempt to intimidate you into making them voluntarily.
    I wouldn't worry too much about court. Ultimately, the final decision is up to the judge. He will certainly take into account your current health status and your need to feed and care for your children. And if he does rule that you don't or have no ability to pay at this time, the creditors have no real recourse but to take you back to court sometime in the future. If a payment plan was established, it would be up to the judge what those payments are, and it could well be a nominal amount as little as $10 a month or so, just to prove honorable intent on your part. Though I don't feel you will, or can be made to pay at this time. A free legal aid office may well be able to help you file for bankruptcy as well, or find someone willing to do it for a substantially reduced rate. If you have trouble finding an office in the front of your phonebook, call SS, they should be able to refer you.
    Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Courting A Lady [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, Well here is my situation. There's this girl that I've been seeing for a couple of weeks now. We've gotten kind of close but we haven't committed to a relationship. She's still seeing other guys and dealing with her ex-boyfriend. My question is what should I do to convince this...

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

Erection Problem - lady needs male advice please [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend (been together a year) cannot get a proper erection, its always quite soft, and although we still "do it" its very unsatisfying for me. I have never commented, for fear of hurting his feelings as he himself is upset about it, i can tell, but he's never said anything either.I would like...

So she's gone [ 5 Answers ]

Sad distemperment realms my thoughts, knawing at my heart. No chance to falter and fall into dismalness, *poof* I appear in its hell before the wool burns from my eyelids. Searching the skyline for a horizon that won't come... a clear day sunset that no longer exsist at the end of my day. ...

View more questions Search