Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    almathor's Avatar
    almathor Posts: 11, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 1, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Credit card debt
    My providian credit card (which is now Washington mutual) has been sent to a collections agency. I have spoken to the agency and am willing to pay $100.00 a month to pay off my debt of $1,400. The agency is constantly trying to get me to send more than the $100.oo which is all I can afford at this time. Is it possible to speak directly to Washington mutual and send them my payment? Or do I have to deal with this collection agency? The agency also wants me given them 3 post dated checks by phone for the next 3 months in the amount of $100.oo if by tomorrow I call ( yet again ) to find out if the creditor will accept this offer---which is what the collection agency is telling me... please help!
    Northwind_Dagas's Avatar
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83
    Full Member

    May 1, 2007, 04:37 PM
    If it is in collections, it has likely been sold to a company that recovers debts. Therefore it is unlikely that you will be able to work with Washington Mutual to settle.

    Of course they want more, but if they are willing to work with you they can take what you can give, or they can get nothing (unless they pursue court). Be firm but honest with them, and don't for a minute think they are working in your best interests.

    I would not send them post-dated checks. There is no law that says they have to wait until the date of the check to run it through, and most banks have it in their policy that they will payout on any instrument presented to them without regard for the date.

    If they are hounding you on the phone, you can tell them you would like to be contacted only through the mail and say "do not contact me again via phone to collect this debt." If you tell them they cannot call you, the have to stop or they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

    You find some great information here:
    Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - You can Fight Back!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit Card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have just over 8k cc debt & just can't make the min mo payments. I'm on social security SSI which is suplimentle security income, reason is LUPUS. I only receive 900. A month. What is my best course of action? I realize I've probably waited to long, thanks

Old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a old credit card debt made by family members, from maybe 8 to ten years ago. Someone called by family and informed then at a warrant had been issued for my arrest and that I need to contact them.I called and I was going to pay it, the guy scared me by asking only for my bank account...

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

View more questions Search