Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lysah0505's Avatar
    lysah0505 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2006, 10:02 AM

    I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on collecting on this account. I thought it was student loans that were non dischargeable. Can she legally do this?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 2, 2006, 03:02 PM
    First do not talk to them on the phone, ever.

    Refer this to the attorney who did your bankruptcy, and let him tell you if it was discharged or not.

    Also if you want some general opinoin what was the loan for if it was not for tution or school cost.
    lysah0505's Avatar
    lysah0505 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2006, 05:48 PM
    It was not a loan. It's tuition that's owed directly to the school. Now the problem is that my husband and I were self representing. So now I have to find an attorney that will help us with this. The problem with THAT is that they can be costly and if we have the money for an attorney to begin with, no problem. YOu see?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 2, 2006, 05:55 PM
    I am not sure, but if you owe it directly to the school and it was for going to that school, it is a "loan" they self funded or directly loaned you the money for going to school.

    I do believe ( from the people I have helped fill out bankruptcy paper work as a para legal) that these types of loans are no longer exempt ( they will not be discharged)

    This is part of the issues of self filing, there is no "legal" advice, and if any body files any cross claims or comes back after, there is no knowledge of what to do.

    You have one real option short of hiring an attorney for adivce now.
    Send them copy of the bankruptcy showing this was included. Tell them not to contact you further. If they then sue you, you know you were wrong since they would not take it to court if they know they can't win.

    They actually can't even call you or write you legally if this was in bankruptcy, so they are pretty sure they are right or they would not even call you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy. I listed all creditors. The trustee had a meeting of creditors. My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills) The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite. My Bankruptcy was granted...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person file bankruptcy from jail? Can they file on their own(Pro Se)? What county to file in--/the county of imprisonment or where the debts were incurred? Are fines, costs, and restitution dischargable? If someone had power of attorney for the one filing from prison, if possible, could...

Do it yourself bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has become ill and has not worked in 2 years and have been waiting over a year for a disability decision and my credit card is maxed out with a couple of other small debts and I need to declare chap. 7 bankruptcy... I have very little money, I am thinking about ordering an online do it...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search