Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subovasri102 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Indai U.S tax treaty and Indian Tax law.
    I am going to the U.S for more than 183 days in a financial year. Being a Resident of India I can claim avoidance from U.S tax laws and since its my first visit to the U.S and receiving a salary from a University in the U.S. This avoidance will be under the DTAA(double tax avoidance treaty) between india and U.S But under Indian tax laws any resident residing abroad for more than 183 days in a financial year is not subject to be taxed by the indian government. My question is whether I can claim benefits of both these rules and not pay tax anywhere?

Check out some similar questions!

Nonresident Indian student, US India tax treaty exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a indian student, working in a university. I got a letter from the IRS saying my federal income tax return is being examined and they say I cannot claim the tax treaty income as I received a W2 form and not 1042-S form. Do I have to pay them back now? Is there a way I can do something...

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

Federal exemptions for indian students according to the tax treaty [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are both grad students. I was a student for the entire year of 2006- F1 visa My wife changed status from L1 to F1 in aug 2006 If our combined annual income for 2006 is lower than the total tuition paid in the year, are we exempt from federal taxes according to the Indo-US tax...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.