Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebel92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Deceaed fathers joint cd?
    If the cd had both my parents name on it who does the money go to at my fathers death?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2012, 08:51 AM
    In states I live and have lived in, it would go to a beneficiary if one is listed. If no beneficiary-it goes to the estate. I am not an expert just speaking of my experiences.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Usually joint ownership of financial accounts is signified with the notation "JTWROS," which means "Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship." This means if one owner dies the other becomes the sole owner of the account. One advantage of this is that it avoids probate. Your mother should go to the bank have the CD retitled in her name alone. To do this she would need to bring along a certified copy of the death certificate.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 11:36 AM
    It was held in both names? It "goes" to the survivor, outside the Will because it's a joint asset.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Sorry, I misread the post.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Is the mother still alive? I guess I can't understand the question from one of the children if mom is still alive, she would just own it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried, fathers wants joint custody. Father did not sign birth certificate? [ 6 Answers ]

I am an unmarried women with a one month old son. Sons father and I are not together anymore and he did not sign the birth certificate. I am breast feeding and I have son on my insurance. Father wants joint custody and visitation... Will the courts allow him joint custody or not since he did not...

Want to marry but have same fathers name on birth certificate but different fathers [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was pregnant with me when she met the man who's name I on my birth certicate after she passed I found my real father. I wasn't close to the father on the birth certicate didn't know his children now I want to marry the son but we are no kin what do I need to do. His name is on both of the...

Can a joint tenant on a mortgage allow a man to live with other joint tenants? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and husband have a joint tenancy mortgage/deed with my exhusband. My daughter has made $76,000 worth of mortgage payments while living in the home with her husband and child. Recently she became ill and unemployed. The house was on the market for many months with no offers, and the...

How to claim fathers from fathers neglegence in child support after 20 years [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in georgetown guyana.my dad departed yo canada since I was a 4 year old kid,I suffered since because dad never sent one sent to my grandma (his mom to support me)AS A RESULT I WAS PHYSICALLY,PHYCHOLOGICALLY,SEXUALLY AND MORE,abused as a result of dads absence and lck of responsabliity as...

View more questions Search