Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theconfusedkid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
    Bank error or Book error? (bank reconciliation)
    I'm having a hard time figuring out if the bank reconciliation made a bank or book error.

For example:
    The book statement recorded a debit memo of $500.00. While the bank recorded a debit memo of $400.00.

Thank you.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2011, 09:15 AM

Do you have something that tells you what the debit memo is for? Typically you would get something from the bank (aside from the bank statement) notifiying you that a deduction will be made and what it is regarding. I'm assuming this is a real-life situation versus homework. If so, call the bank. They should be able to explain the $400 charge.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 10:00 AM

May I ask something?

I wanted to know what is really happening here.

Let there be two companies, A and B.
    Company A debited $500, and the bank issued a memo saying $400 were debited from the account of Company B. Here, company B pays to company A.

Would this be correct?

It seems strange that there are bank charges, as the amount I expected Company A to receive less than $400 after any possible charges :confused:

If not, never mind me ;)
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2011, 10:35 AM

A debit memo from a bank means they are making a deduction of some sort. It usually will be a charge from the bank itself, though it could involve another company. It could be bank fees, for example. It could be something like an automatic payment.

The poster is indicating that there is a discrepancy where the bank is showing the fee to be $400 on his bank statement. The wording of the question is not exactly clear, but typically you will be comparing your bank statement to your books and reconciling them to be equal - which includes looking at outstanding checks and deposits, but also includes debit or credit memos shown by the bank. You make entries to your books for those memo entries. In this case, the entry made to the books seems to be for $500 while the bank is showing $400. It could be that the bank made an error or it could be that the entry to the books is wrong. If the poster knows why the deduction was made and has backup for the deduction, he can figure out whether the bank or books are correct.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 11:03 AM

Ah I see. So far, I've been reconciling bank statements with amounts input in the system of a company and wanted to know a little more about what I did. I found little differences though, one of some cents and another of about $1 (I was told that it was okay since it was insignificant as compared to the large sums dealt with). Thanks JLo :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Error in bank reconciliation [ 3 Answers ]

If the bank make a mistake of recording a deposit of 87 dollars as 78 dollars, this error will be shown in the bank reconciliation as : Ans: deduction of 9 dollars to the bank balance I think this should be the correct ans, isn't it? Cos the ans in my book was addition of 9 dollars to the bank...

Bank reconciliation check error [ 4 Answers ]

If the book check amount was written incorrectly for 40 and the bank was written correctly for 400, what would the adjusting entry be? I thought credit account payable, but what would I debit?

Treatment of Bank Error in REconciliation Statements [ 8 Answers ]

When the Bank Charge you 150 on your cheque # say 88001 instead of 100 in the Statement, do you Treat the cheque as unpresented (100) and Wrong Debit (150)?

Bank error in bank reconciliation [ 2 Answers ]

If the bank mistakenly deducts a check from an account would I be adding or subtraction the amount in the bank reconciliation under the balance per books section?

Add or deduct an error in bank reconciliation [ 1 Answers ]

The check written by a company was recorded on the books as $470, but it cleared the bank at the correct amount the check was made out for of $4700. I thought the ans should be add the book balance 4230. However the ans deduct in book balance 4230. WHY is that?? :confused:

View more questions Search